From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:03:12 -0500
>Please go to the vet first and post health questions second.  Seeking a
>cyber diagnosis before seeing >a vet is just irresponsible.
>Scott and the Mustilid Mob

Well, Scott in a perfect world, I would wholeheartedly agree.  Things can go
wrong very quickly with many ferret illnesses and prompt medical attention
is essential.  However, because so many vets are unaware of specific ferret
pathologies, or just ferret unfamiliar, there is no harm in doing both
concurrently.  I can think of some ferret lives saved by members on list by
preventing iatrogenic tragedies.  The use of improper anesthesia is but one
example.

Not all of us have the privilege of ferret-wise vets in their area.  I
strongly suggest not only contacting this fine list, but also any shelter
operators who may indeed be aware of a ferret wise vet in your area.  It is
also imperative that list members respond to these calls for help in a
timely fashion because of the unique situation involving ferrets.
Obviously, each case presents a different set of circumstances, and I
stated previously, it is wise to seek proper, knowledgeable, and timely
professional attention.  The problem in addressing ferrets is this is not
always an easy task.

Perusing the FAQ's even before ownership could be a wise move.  I urge
newbies to seek knowledgeable vets as close as possible to them *before*
any illness or emergency develops.  I urge all newbies to *interview*
prospective vets cordially but thoroughly on their ferret acumen.
Tragically, some vets have been known to "overstate" their experience and
ability.

Scott, while I do not want list info to supplant or delay *sound* medical
attention, these two sources can be and certainly are used together in a
timely and effective manner.

So while I agree in essence with your response, I do not agree it is an
appropriate time for any name calling or indictment of those sometimes
desperate and worried ferret owners who ask for our help.

Ferret care is an ongoing learning experience for *all* concerned,
including both first-time and long-time owners, shelter operators,
breeders, and vets.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi