From:
Dan and Kathy Goodhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:24:44 EST
I am glad to hear that more and more ferret people are turning to ferret
rooms as an alternative to cages, especially those of us who have many!

Our little buddies have their own bedroom.  A metal kick plate has been
installed to the door so it comes down to about a 1/4 inch from the floor to
prevents escapes.  The door to the room is cut in half and a ledge installed
at the top so we can look in on our kids without disturbing them.  This also
comes in handy when we are trying to keep them in the room - one person can
hand over anything needed through the top of the door.  The floor is
linoleum for easy cleaning.  There is no kick plate on the closet door so
our kids can get that "going into the forbidden zone" feeling when going in
it.  We keep the door closed so they will always have a dark place to go to
if the mood strikes them.

We put newspaper in the corners rather than littler boxes.  It is much
easier to avoid the misses and near misses when our little guys back into
them.  Additionally, clean up is very easy.

We have the controversial MidWest cage set up, with doors open, full of
blankets and various snuggle and napping necessities.  Tubes run into a
smaller cage, also with the door always open, with additional napping must-
haves.

An old comforter basically laying in the middle of the floor gives napping
and snuggling alternatives.  PVC pipe with curved joints runs throughout the
room and large cardboard boxes with entry holes cut in them give neat little
hidey holes (change these often!  The little guys never seem to leave them
when they have to relieve themselves!) For our scratching enthusiasts, a
carpet scrap is placed in the room.

We are fortunate that all of our kids love their room.  After their daily
"ram around the house" sessions, all of them return to their room on their
own.  We rarely have to search for them if they get out of sight.

Our ferrets are working ferrets.  They test new ferret products that we sell
in our business.  Because of this, they never know what "new and nifty"
gizmo will be placed in their room for their perusal.  I think this variety
adds to the appeal of their domain and their nearly tail wagging
anitcipation every time we approach their door.  Rather than running out the
door, they jump all over us with the "Watcha Got?" inquisitiveness.

We are furtunate in that we have our own house, which we only bought a year
ago.  Before that, we were in an apartment and our kids were caged when we
were not at home.  If you already own, or are preparing to buy a home, think
FERRET ROOM!  None of your guests will ever want to sit in your living room
when your fur kids can keep them entertained in their own room.

Happy Ferret Room Building!

Kathy Goodhart
Goodhart's Little Buddies
"Only the Best for Our Little Buddies!"