From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:20:33 -0500
Hello Leanne,

I believe the program you are looking for is the Euthanasia Certification
program which is run by HSUS and usually the larger SPCA's etc have them
periodically.

LET ME EXPRESS this course is not for the weak of heart- it does require
active partici[pation in administering euthanasia to pre selected animals
at the location

ALSO this only trains you for the proper techniques, plus explains the
process what solutions are available and the differences in the process
with any given solution.

THIS DOES NOT allow you to obtain the drugs required for euthanasia.

A licensed veterinarian in the state would hav eto be responsible for
the controlled drug- so this may NOT be an option for youer shelter.
ALSO you will have federal regulations for charting usage, locked holding
areas etc.

I DO however believe this course is an extremely valuable one ( though it
is far from inexpensive) for any shelter caretaker who has to deal with
death, terminal illness and decision making.

I would hav eyour shelter MOm check with the MSPCA's to see who is
bringing in this trainig again... also it needs to be renewed with a
refresher every 2 years.

Alicia at Ferretwise, CET