From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:03:05 -0500
Rather than whine for money this month, our shelter could sure use a
free-standing hammock and a large size ferret tent.  Would anyone care to
donate these items?  We have 40+ ferrets (just have to smile at those who
ask "why more than 1.....") and always need more happy hiding places for
our guys.  We do a lot of medical work (4 or more surgeries every month),
so many of our residents are long term or permanent and tend to do more
sleeping than playing.  A cozy tent for several ferrets or a hammock that
is accessible to the somewhat debilitated would make for a joyful addition.
In appreciation, we'll promote the products to the many, many ferret owners
who come through our shelter.

A general note of thanks and a warm pat on the back for those of you who
are protesting the sale of baby ferrets.  Whether they are 3, 4 or 5 weeks,
they should not even leave their mother and siblings until they are 12
weeks.  That's too much to expect from the breeders, who are now even
avoiding having to give that first vaccination since it is due at 8 weeks.
We even had a ferret abandoned at our shelter which could not have been
more than 5 weeks old.  It was bought at a local pet store chain.  It
should be added that most pet stores--even Petco or Petsmart--are
franchises.  That is why there is so much variation in quality.  However,
the parent company is responsible for the mass purchase of pets and general
business guidelines, so your letters are well directed to the head office
of each corporation.  It is unlikely that these babies have either
distemper or ECE, but they do suffer from stress and diet-related maladies,
producing eye and ear infections of all types, and high bacterial counts
which result in green and runny stool.  Keep hacking at your local pet
store franchises and write those letters.  They really do have an impact.
Rather than dwell on the misery of the animals (although it's what we care
about), hit them where they really feel it--in the wallet.  Tell them you
will never shop at their store(s) again if they do not reconsider their
inhumane practices.

        Ferret Rescue of the Western States
        140 W. 29th St., Suite 191
        Pueblo, CO 81008