From:
George Gebara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:45:48 -0500
Hello All,

I re-subscribed today to the list after a three year absense.  I currently
have four carpet-sharks: Bitsy (6F), Rascal (5F), Coal (1M), and Snowy
(1M).  Bitsy's brother Homer was relieved of his suffering two weeks ago.
He had, among other things, an advanced case of insulinoma.  His death has
prompted me to find out what I can do to improve my ferrets health.  Homer
was a late neuter, extremely lean and strong when he was young.  He should
have had greater energy in his later years and lived longer.

I am commited to not repeat the mistakes with my younger ones.  I have read
Bob Church's Diet series in the archive with great interest.  Although I
fed mine the best kibble I could buy, I always suspected that this was not
a proper diet.  A few days ago I began offering Iams canned cat foods.
Most flavors do not contain any "by-products".  I did find the 8-in-1
canned ferret foods at the local PETsMART, but they are horrendously
expensive, and do not contain anything better (than Iams), based on the
ingredients list.  Results sofar: They _all_ prefer kibble.  Coal will eat
the wet food (seems to like it), as will Snowy if he's hungy enough.  Bitsy
and Rascal will without tasting, from a distance of 4" to the food, make
noises and facial expressions indicating extreme disgust.  I am now
offering food twice a day: Bitsy and Rascal get kibble, Coal and Snowy get
wet food.  Yesterday I bought a pig ear, softened it in water, and attached
it to the cage with string.  As expected Coal and Snowy like chewing on it,
Bitsy and Rascal don't.  I tried buying a coffee-grinder today at the
Wal-Mart, but all cashes were closing, except those doing price-checks, or
the express-cashes serving people with 30 items.  After waiting 15 minutes,
I walked out.  So much for Wal-Mart.  Once I aquire one, I'll make the
kibble powder and kibble gravy to make everything taste like kibble.  This
reminds me of one of my cousins who can't eat _anything_ without ketchup.
To those who have converted to a more natural diet: what has worked for
you?  Did you have any older ferrets that started eating more exotic things
like chicken bones or mice?  Any and all advice is most appreciated.

I'm looking for a reputable ferret-breeder in Germany. If you are one, or
know of one, please send me e-mail.

Thanks!

George