From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 00:12:29 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3367

Author wrote:
>Two of my furkids have been diagnosed with lymphosarcoma (by ultrasound,
>lymph node biopsy) one month apart.  One male, around 2 yrs old, and a
>female.  probably around 4 yrs old (rescue adoptees).  I am keeping them
>togrther, but separate from the other three, worrying about the "cluster
>effect" (possible viral connection) - probably too late, the others are
>certainly exposed by now .... the male's WBC count was around 20,000,
>the female's was normal, around 7,000.  He still looks great, she looks
>and acts sick.  They are both being treated with Elspar (asparaginase)
>and pred ... vet is considering trying Doxyrubicin.

Dear No Name:
Most of the current regimens of chemotherapy are composed of a
combination of cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisone and sometimes
l-asparaginase, sometimes not.  Most of the successes have come from
using these drugs on a very particular schedule.  I have not heard of one
with doxirubricin in ferrets, so I would be very interested in hearing
your experience.  You are blazing a new trail here...

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

[Sukie note:  Doxyrubricin is being studied by Dr. Mike Dutton in
relation to reducing reoccurrences with interesting results on
ferrets after insulinoma surgery.  It will be interesting to see if
it has promise for this use.]