From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:45:36 -0000
** Stop ** Take a moment ** Write a note ** Mail a dollar **

You can encourage and support the wonderful people who work so hard for the
ferrets we love by sending e-mail greetings, donating ferret gifts or
supplies, contributing to paying expenses, or volunteering for hands-on help.
Contributions may be made directly to their vets to cover overdue bills.

PLEASE READ TLE's GREAT SUGGESTION FOR SUPPORTING OUR SHELTERS.

Laura Bancroft                       Deer Run Veterinary Services
   [log in to unmask]            Dr. Frank J. Alfano
Falmouth Friends of Ferrets Shelter  168 Teaticket Highway
17 Mello Street                      E. Falmouth MA  02536
E. Falmouth MA  02536                (508) 548-3406
(508) 540-5758

Total Ferrets:  6                Adoptable Ferrets:  4
Needing Shots:  2                Taken In this month:  2

Wish List:  Latex Gloves

I hope to channel some of Lorraine Denicourt's ferrets to my shelter as
there seems to be a greater demand for ferrets on the Cape.

Randy Belair, [log in to unmask]     Dr. K Saldanha
Ferret Aid Society of Toronto        Creditview Animal Hospital
1198 Saturnia Crescent               4040 Creditview Rd
Mississauga, Ontario                 Mississauga, Ontario
L4Y 2M3                              L5C 3Y8
(905) 275-0438

Total ferrets in shelter:  29         Permanent residents:  9
Adoptable ferrets:  7                 Being rehabilitated:  11
Sick or injured:  7                   Needing spay/neuter: 5
Needing vaccinations:  7              Needing surgery:  4
Needing sponsors:   11                Being fostered:  1
Adopted out this month:  3            Taken in this month:  6
Unpaid vet bills:  $675

Wish List: Totally Ferret Food, Canadian Tire Money, Timmy's Tonic

http://home.echo-on.net/~magick   Open to ferrets for 1 1/2 years

Jean Caputo-Lee, [log in to unmask]     Dr. N. Tulodziecki, "Dr.T"
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter   5522 Pearl Road
4116 Bucyrus Avenue                Parma, Ohio 44129  - and -
Cleveland, Ohio  44109             Dr. Wayne Turner
216/749-3885 home                  34910 Center Ridge Road
216/961-2577 work                  North Ridgeville, Ohio  44039

Total ferrets in shelter:  22      Permanent residents:  6
Adoptable ferrets:  16             Taken in this month:  6
Being rehabilitated:  2 (one hates women, one is a blind fear biter)
Sick or injured:  3                Needing spay/neuter:  2
Needing vaccinations:  3 rabies    Needing surgery:  2
Unpaid vet bills:  $275.00         Unpaid shelter bills:  25.00

I am not adopting out in December because of the Holiday.  Anyone who wants
to give a fert gets an info packet, a picture, and I suggest that they get a
cage, place the items needed in it and the info.  That way the reciever can
read then decide if it is a commitment they want to make.

Wish List: Nutri Cal, petro malt, and someone else to clean the carpet &
litter boxes instead of me (just once I'd like to supervise)

Trish Curtis, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Tad Jarrett, DVM
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter    210 N.W. 2nd Street
3801 Zion Hill Loop               Mineral Wells, TX 76067
Weatherford, TX  76088            817-325-2273

Branch shelter Carlsbad, NM, Eydie Fox, [log in to unmask]

The shelter is bursting at the seams with more fuzzies than I can count and
the vet bill is never paid off.  It seems there are not enough hours in a
day to care for all the little guys and keep up with my e-mail also :(

I'd like to say *THANK YOU SPONSORS!!*
[Currently, I have several fuzzies looking for sponsors if anyone is
interested.]

Alicia Drakotes                   Dr. George Messenger
[log in to unmask]          Fisherville Animal Hospital
Ferret Wise Rescue &              108 Fisherville Road
Rehabilitation Shelter            Concord, NH  03301
PO Box 561                        (603) 229-0674
Marlborough, NH  03455

Ferret Wise is now a specialized "critical care" shelter facility for
domestic ferrets.  Ferret Wise assists in abuse and neglect investigations
and offers rehabilitation to ferrets acquiried by state shelter agencies.
Investigation and prosecutorial costs will be insurmountable.  Please
consider a donation to the investigation "fund".  We are a tax exempt
shelter, and all donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.

ALSO please note any donations to vets should be clearly marked for Ferret
Wise Shelter - veterinary account!!  THANKS

Total ferrets in shelter: 12 plus 11 in halfway / hospice  =  23
Permanent residents:   7  plus    11 in halfway house  =  18
Adoptable ferrets:  3-4           Being rehabilitated:   4
Sick or injured:  1               Needing vaccinations:  4
Surgeries this past month:  4     Being sponsored:  2
Needing sponsors:  3              Being fostered:   3
Adopted out this month: 1         Taken in this month:  5
Unpaid vet bills:  $725           Unpaid shelter bills:   $750
Vet/Pathology paid last month:  $470.00

Wish List:  Nutrical, sustical, colloidal silver

Lorraine Denicourt                Dr. Brust
   [log in to unmask]                  Salem Animal Hospital
FRISKY FERRET SHELTER             South Broadway
8 Pluff Avenue                    Salem  NH  03079
N Reading  MA  01864
978-664-5006

Total ferrets in shelter:  31     Permanent residents:  4
Adoptable ferrets:  27            Being rehabilitated:  1
Needing vaccinations:  5 distemper & rabies
Being fostered:  10               Ferret deaths in Oct. to date:  1
Adopted out in Oct. to date:  6   Taken in in Oct. to date:  7
Unpaid vet bills:  $0
Donations could be made in shelter name/account directly to the Salem
Animal Hospital for future bills.

WISH LIST:
Lg. room size air purifier; TF or Iams Kitten; Nutri-Cal; Bleach Copying
machine or donations for copying costs; Paper Towels Litter - wood pellets;
bleach; unscented liquid laundry detergent cage cleaner; Q-tips; Benadryl
(children's strength); Pepto Bismol

The shelter is a very busy one attempting to meet all the needs of the
ferrets that are there.  Between the shelter and its foster homes all the
fuzzbutts are getting the special love and attention they deserve but
supplies and volunteers are always needed and welcomed.

Troy Lynn Eckert,                 Dr. Larry Snyder
[log in to unmask]          University Small Animal Clinic
Ferret Family Services            17th and Randolph
P.O. Box 186                      P.O. Box 4135
Manhattan, KS  66505-0186         Topeka, KS  66604
(913) 456-8337                    (913) 233-3185

Welfare ferrets/unadoptable/owners do what they can:  43
Adoptable ferrets:  4             Being rehabilitated:  5
Needing surgery: 3 (adrenal)      Needing sponsors: 1 adrenal
Ferret deaths this month:  2 --   Honey - cardiomiopathy
                               Molly - starved to death, came to us too late
Adopted out this month: 2         Taken in this month: 3

Wish List: I wish that everyone on the FML who can afford to would send $1
to each ferret shelter on this list and any others they know of.  If only a
3rd of the FML does this, that would bring in $1000 for each shelter.  If
you can't send to all the shelters, you could divide the list in half and
send $1 to half of them this month and $1 to the other half next month.

I wish that everyone looking to add a ferret to their family would adopt a
shelter ferret or two or three or.....

I wish that there would be no more animal abuse, whether by intent or
ignorance or neglect.

Bev Fox, [log in to unmask]    Dr. Wayne Turner
North Coast Ferret Shelter        Animal Clinic Northview
445 Monroe St                     34910 Center Ridge Rd
Conneaut, Ohio 44030              North Ridgeville, Ohio 44039
(440) 599-8518                    (216) 327-8282
(440) 593-2880
NOTE NEW ADDRESS!

Ferrets in shelter:  16           Permanent residents:  2
Taken in this month:  5           Adopted out this month:  3
Needing vaccinations: 12

Wish List:  Fervac-D or Galaxy-D, Food,
People looking for a female albino (we have 6 currently available)

http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html

Dayna Frazier, [log in to unmask]   Stuart H. Ligon D.V.M.
MMOMM Rescue & Shelter              Lovingston Veterinary Hospital
Woodland MH Park #38                P.O. Box 304
U.S. Route 29 N                     Lovingston, Va. 22949
Amherst, Va. 24521                  (804) 263-4881
(804) 946-2781

Total ferrets in shelter:  13      Permanent residents:  4
Adoptable ferrets:  4              Needing sponsors:  4
Being rehabilitated:  5            Sick or injured: 2 of the 5
Needing vaccinations:  3           Needing surgery:  1 (possibly)
Adopted out this month:  3         Taken in this month:  5
Unpaid shelter bills:  $60.00

Wish List:  prednisone (badly needed for adrenal ferrets)
Prevue cages from The Ferret Store (on line or talk to Joe Palko)
Prayers for Mittsy, having another very rough round & may need surgery

Pam Grant, [log in to unmask]     Dr. Roger Hart
THE FERRETS OF PET PALS           Kingsview Animal Hospital
Ferret Placement & Referral       7434 Beulah St
P. O. Box 1714                    Alexandria, VA  22310
Springfield, VA  22151-0714       703-971-9292

Total ferrets in shelter:  2 - holding for new owner
Being fostered:  1
Adopted out:  Nov = 4   Dec = 3
Taken in:     Nov = 2   Dec = 0
Ferrets taken in during 1997: 24
Ferrets adopted out in 1997:  26

Wish List:   ferret lovers to start up ferret shelters in
Fairfax County, VA and Montgomery Co, MD

BRIAN HILL, [log in to unmask]
[Moderator's note: huh?... maybe something missing here?  BIG]
Laura Ferris, [log in to unmask]
Central Wisconsin Ferret Fanciers
7398 Hwy O
Wausau, WI  54401
715-675-6939

Total ferrets in shelter:  8      Permanent residents:  1
Adoptable ferrets:  6             Being rehabilitated:  1
Needing vaccinations:  4          Needing sponsors:  1
Being fostered:  9
Adopted out this month:  8        Taken in this month:  5

Wish List:  more foster parents

Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]   Dr. Mary Chavez, DVM
South Florida Ferret Club          South Kendall Animal Clinic
   and Rescue, Inc                 9501 S.W. 160th Street
P.O. Box 570927                    Miami, FL 33157
Miami, FL 33257-0927               305-238-2030
305-251-8647
305-378-0898 (fax)

Ferrets in shelter:  125    Number available for adoption varies

Wish List:
A/D, Gerbers 2nd stage Chicken or Turkey baby food, paper towels

Carolyn Kinsey, A.S.V.T.          Dr. Bill Wilhoit, DVM
   [log in to unmask]     BIJOU ANIMAL HOSPITAL
Ferret Rescue of the Western      2502 East Bijou
   States (Estab. 1991)           Colorado Springs, CO 80909
140 W. 29th St., Suite 191        (719)471-4457
Pueblo, CO 81008
(719)527-8004

Ferret Rescue of the Western States has 28 ferrets in residence.  24 are
more or less permanent, most with long term medical or behavioral problems.
None for adoption at the moment.  One had an adrenalectomy and probably will
go home to owners but she was totally hairless for upwards of a year and she
is also about 9 years old so has many medical problems which may or may not
be resolved.  The tumor was moderate size--smaller than I expected, but she
has huge lymph nodes.  These seem to be reducing in size with prednisone and
homeopathy (we have had some stunning successes with a combination of Pau
d'Arco and vitamin C as an immune system builder.  The formula appears in
some veterinary texts for use in animals anticipating chemotherapy for
cancer).  With all her setbacks, you would think she would be debilitated,
yet she is a dynamo!

We have one old girl in maintenance, one post-adrenalectomy but,
unfortunately, developing a tumor on the right side adrenal.  Not productive
to remove, but we're having success for the time being with the above
therapies.  We have one middle aged girl recovering from tumor surgery.
Probably lymphosarcoma but doing just o.k.  now.  It's a little soon to tell
how she will do.  Other organs not looking too good.  One other poor-doer
still hanging in there.  Then there's the 5 month old stray who is suspicious
for lymphoma--yes, only 5 months.  3 of this group are Marshall Farms.  I
saved one tonight which was only 5 WEEKS.  Had a blockage from eating some of
it's T-shirt bedding.  Managed to clear it with our special milk mix recipe
laced with laxatone.  For those who gasp at feeding milk--no problem if you
add Lactaid drops (ferrets are lactose-intolerant).  They love it.  Easy to
get meds down or put weight on underweight animals.  Recipe upon request.

We adopted out 3 wonderful ferrets this month and took in 6.  Unpaid vet
bills remain at about $700.  Our wish is that this bill were not so
high........

   Best from Carolyn at FRWS

Chris and Shelley Knudsen,        Dr. Polly Lewis
   [log in to unmask]              Hastings Animal Clinic
Legion of Superferrets of         2905 W. Hwy 6
   Nebraska Ferret Shelter        Hastings, NE  68901
614 N. Bellevue Avenue            402-463-9805
Hastings, NE  68901               800-742-2697
402-463-0190

Total ferrets in shelter: 11      Permanent residents: 2
Adoptable ferrets: 7              Being rehabilitated: 1
Sick or injured: 1                Needing surgery: 1
Adopted out this month: 1         Taken in this month: 5
Unpaid vet bills: $700

Wish List: A HEPA air purifier, 2 baby playpens, and help paying off my ever
mounting vet bills.  I have recently had 4 adrenal surgeries done, 3 are
doing great; 1 unfortunately did not make it.  I have just received another
little girl into the shelter who will probably need adrenal surgery also.  I
have installed the full spectrum lighting suggested by Dayna Frazier, and
while I would love to try the woozle goo, I cannot afford to buy all the
ingredients right now, although my fuzzies have had the softest coats ever
with the full spectrum lighting.  Otherwise, things seem to be going okay
for the moment.

Lisa Leidig, [log in to unmask]    Dr. P. Fisher/Dr. H. Hulls
The Ferret Haven "By The Sea"      Petcare Veterinary Hospital
2312 Starfish Road, #301           5201-A Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23451           Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Total ferrets in shelter:  7       Permanent residents:  3
Adoptable ferrets:   2             Being rehabilitated:  1 (nippy)
Sick or injured:  1                Needing vaccinations:  3
Ferret deaths this month:  3       Being sponsored:  1
Needing sponsors:  2 - an adorable pair! (Mitt and black sable)
Adopted out this month:  13        Taken in this month:  8
Unpaid shelter bills:  $350  (for critical care I paid for)

Wish List:  Totally Ferret, ferretone, baby blankets

Monica Maples                     Ron Titterington, DVM
     [log in to unmask]       Emerald Valley Veterinary Clinic
Lane Area Ferret Lovers Shelter   3845 West 11th Avenue
970 Longridge Drive               Eugene, OR 97402
Springfield, OR 97478             (541) 484-1414
(541) 746-4208

Total Ferrets in Shelter:  11     Adoptable Ferrets:  7
Being rehabilitated:  3           Needing neuter:  1
Needing sponsors:  3              Adopted out this month:  1

Wish List: More loving homes for these fuzzies!

Karen Marsh-Lovvorn              Dr. Stephanie Dalyrmple, DVM
    [log in to unmask]               (shots/check-ups)
Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue     Dr. Charles Ward, DVM
P.O. Box 1528                        (diagnostics/advanced care)
Hillsborough, NC 27278-1528
(919) 644-0520
Street address:
8811 Art Rd.
Cedar Grove, NC 27231

Total ferrets in shelter:  11     Permanent residents:  7
Adoptable ferrets:  4             Being rehabilitated:  2
Needing vaccinations:  8          Being fostered:  14
Adopted out this month:  1

Christine & David Mathis         Kimber Brawley, DVM MS
[log in to unmask]              Companion Pet Clinic
Oregon Ferret Shelter            3150 NE 82nd Avenue
17560 S Holly Lane               Portland, Oregon  97220
Oregon City, Oregon  97045       503-252-1601
503-557-8369

Total ferrets in shelter:  73    Permanent residents:  8
Adoptable ferrets:  45 adults and 13 kits
Being rehabilitated:  6          Sick or injured:  10
Needing spay/neuter:  6          Needing surgery:  3
Ferret deaths:  2                Being fostered:  2
Being sponsored:  8              Needing sponsors: 2
Adopted out:  10                 Taken in:  5

Wish List:  Pounds Plus or Dyne for sick kids ferret soup;
hammocks (sail cloth and sherpa to make); vaccinations (fervac)

A wonderful lady by the name of Linda Soule presented the shelter with a
wonderful monetary gift to buy vaccanitions or put toward an adrenal
surgery.  Thank you so much!!  Wishes do come true!!  Not only that, but we
actually got to meet Linda when she and her husband visited Portland.  She
spent the whole day helping clean cages!  Now THAT's devotion!!

Chere McCoy, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Brenda Ernest, DVM
Ferret Friends of                 Westside Animal Hospital
  Indian River County             1795 10th Avenue
8775 20th Street, Lot 614         Vero Beach, FL  32960
Vero Beach, Fl 32966

Total in shelter:  22             Permanent residents:  12
Adoptable ferrets:  8             Being rehabilitated:  4
TERMINALLY ILL:  1                Sick or injured:  3
Needing Vaccinations:  2          Needing Surgery:  2
Ferret Deaths:  1                 Being fostered:  3
Being sponsored:  1               Needing sponsors:  11
Adopted out this Month:  2        Taken in this month:  9
Unpaid vet bills:  $00.00 (prior to needed surgeries and vaccinations)
Unpaid shelter bills:  $34.55

Wish List:  Pillow Cases,  Nutri Cal, More PILLOW CASES

We were very lucky and got an early Christmas Present: our $586.35 Vet bill
was paid by a very GENEROUS donation which came from CALIFORNIA

Our shelter capacity is 12, but on November 14 our half-way house had to
shut down due to a medical emergency.  We went from 14 ferrets to 23
ferrets in 2 hours.  Thanks to the FML and other people whom I called
for help, much much needed food was at my door within 4 days.

Stephanie Mudgett,                Dr. Steven Caffrey, DVM
    [log in to unmask]          Fryeburg Veterinary Hosp, PA
Ferret Services of Freedom        5 Pine Street
RR 1, Box 1592                    Fryeburg, ME   04037
Freedom, New Hampshire  03836

Total ferrets in shelter:  17     Permanent residents:  7
Adoptable ferrets:  7
Sick or injured:  7               Being rehabilitated:  3
Needing surgery:  3               Needing vaccinations: 4
Being fostered: 1                 Needing sponsors:  7
Adopted out this month:  4        Taken in this month:  6

Wish List:  Nutrical, Laxare (cat hairball remedy)
KMR kitten weaning powder, pet tinic

SuniParker, [log in to unmask]     Legion of SuperFerrets
SunFerret Shelter & Rescue        Northern CA Division
P.O. Box 443
Ferndale, CA  95540               Ferndale Veterinary
(707) 725-3703                    1140 Van Ness
                                  Ferndale CA  95536

Total ferrets in shelter:  5      Permanent residents:  4
Adoptable ferrets:  1  (to a home outside CA!)
Being rehabilitated:  2           Sick or injured:  2
Needing spay/neuter:  1           Needing vaccinations:  1
Needing surgery:  1               Needing sponsors:  1
Adopted out this month:  1        Taken in this month:  1
Unpaid vet bills: $194

Unpaid shelter bills:  $0, but it all comes out of my pocket.
Sure could use some donations.  The ferret fund is at $0.
Donations for the shelter can be sent to:
SunFerret Shelter & Rescue/LOS CA  Ferndale, CA  95536-0443.

Julianna Quadrozzi, [log in to unmask]
GA Domestic Ferret Association

Total ferrets in shelter:  27+2   Permanent residents:  5  age/medical
Adoptable ferrets:  27+2          Being socialized:  4
Sick or injured:  4               Needing vaccinations:  2
Needing surgery:  4               Ferret deaths:  Misty, may she RIP
Needing sponsors:  4              Being fostered:  27
Adopted out:  3                   Taken in this month:  11

Megan Scott                        Dr. Zeitlin, DVM
[log in to unmask]                    VCA Lake Worth
Ferrets in the Sun Club & Rescue   3401 2nd Ave. N.
5561 SE Grafton Avenue             Lake Worth, FL 33461
Stuart, FL 34997

Total ferrets in shelter:  17      Permanent residents:   5
Adoptable ferrets:   12            Being rehabilitated:  1
Sick or injured:  5  Adrenal / Insulomnia / Elderly
Needing sponsors:  5
Unpaid vet bills:   $200.00

Wish List:   Hey all... I wanted to take this space to let the FML know I
have moved my residence and shelter from the West Palm Beach area to the
Stuart area... about 45 miles north ... If there are people in the Stuart
<Martin County> area interested in being involved in the Club or Rescue ..
I'm here :) Thanx...

Stephanie Sheme                   Dr. Joseph Bock, DVM
  [log in to unmask]              Adobe Animal Hospital
Ferrets Etc                       4660 Table Mesa Drive
4339 S. Galapago St.              Boulder, Colorado
Englewood, CO 80110               (303) 494-4344

Total ferrets in shelter:  18     Permanent residents:  6
Adoptable ferrets:  4             Sick or injured: 2
Needing surgery: 6
Adopted out this month: many older ones to permanate foster homes
Taken in this month: 4            Unpaid shelter bills: $400.00

Wish List:  Cat litter, Pro plan cat food, Amoxi

Sheena Staples, [log in to unmask]
PO Box #3
4607 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C.
V5H 2B3
pager number 1-604-601-4883

Total ferrets in shelter:  10    Adoptable ferrets:  10
Being rehabilitated:  1          Sick or injured:  1
Needing spay/neuter:  5          Being fostered:  1
Ferret deaths this month:  2
Adopted out this month:  2       Taken in this month:  2

Wish List:
Maybe someone would like to donate $$$ or supplies to the Alberta Ferret
Society, who is taking all of our rescues since Vancouver has an excess
of ferrets and few homes.  Wherret Ferrets is taking a sabbatical and
will be a foster home only for at least the next six months.  We'd like
any and all donations to go to the wonderful folks at the AFS to cover
their costs.  They're taking in some unaltered ferrets and an adrenal
ferret as well from us, so they need the help.

http://www2.portal.ca/~wherret/

Joe & Beverly Vautrinot,         Pet Care Veterinary Hospital
   [log in to unmask]              5102 A Virginia Beach Blvd.
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater       Virginia Beach, VA  23462
2800 Mayon Drive                 757-473-0111
Chesapeake, VA 23325
757-545-3715/757-490-5767

Total ferrets in shelter:  38    Permanent residents:  15
Adoptable ferrets:  14           Ferret deaths this month:  4
Being sponsored:  Odie
Needing sponsors:  Pungo, Skippy, Mick Mouse
Adopted out this month:  11      Taken in this month:  18
Unpaid vet bills:  $500

Wish List:  Lots of fund raisers!,
Good homes to adopt to, healthy ferrets and their Mommy too!
Currently our shelter quardinator is dealing with cancer, so
lots of prayers for her recovery also.

Mark Zmyewski, [log in to unmask]
Cloud Nine Ferrets
P.O. Box 4271
Huntsville, AL  35815
Heath Niehaus (205) 885-0105
Donna Tarbell (205) 885-0105
Mark Zmyewski (205) 536-6348

Total ferrets in shelter:  9      Permanent residents:  6
Adoptable ferrets:   3            Taken in this month:  3
Being rehabilitated:  1 (adrenal surgery)
Unpaid vet bills: $200

Wish List:  Help with vet bill, food, litter