From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 11:10:11 -0800
Is it true that there is not a proven rabies vaccination for ferrets?
Several times I have read that it is just a safety precaution, but it does
not work if the ferret comes in contact with an animal that is rabid.  I
live in an area where rabies is not too much a concern (plus my ferrets are
indoor pets).  Do I need to give them a rabies shot?

Thank you reading this.  I'm sure it has been discussed countless times on
the FML.

[Moderator's note: Yeah, and since this is posted anonymously, here's a
quickie summary so we don't all post the answers to tomorrow's FML:
1) There is a vaccine, Imrab-3 (by Rhone Merieux) that is proven effective.
2) Some municipalities don't consider that sufficient and will order the
   ferret to be killed in spite of vaccination status.
3) Even if your ferret never goes outside and thus has a near-zero risk of
   contracting rabies, it's STILL a good idea to vaccinate: If your ferret
   bites someone, the fact that you can show your ferret has been vaccinated
   might serve to keep an otherwise hysterical person from running to the
   "authorities" demanding your fuzzball be tested for rabies.  BIG]