From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 12:31:54 -0400
Pam opened my eyes (LOL!) to this new interesting abstract:
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16647737&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

> Vision Res. 2006 Apr 27; [Epub ahead of print]
> Motion perception deficits in albino ferrets (Mustela putorius furo).
> Hupfeld D, Distler C, Hoffmann KP.
> Allgemeine Zoologie & Neurobiologie, Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum,
> Universitaetsstr. 150, ND 7/31, 44780 Bochum, Germany.

>Albino ferrets contrary to their pigmented conspecifics show no
>optokinetic nystagmus.  Therefore, in this study motion perception
>was compared between pigmented and albino ferrets (Mustela putorius
>furo) trained to discriminate between coherently moving random dot
>patterns and dynamic noise stimuli in a two-alternative forced choice
>task.  Fully coherently versus incoherently moving patterns could be
>distinguished by ferrets of both phenotypes.  Motion coherence
>thresholds, however, were significantly higher in albinos.  These
>results indicate that albino ferrets are not motion blind as could be
>expected from their total lack of optokinetic reactions.  However,
>they are severely impaired in global motion perception.
>
> PMID: 16647737 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

There are past studies in this area of inquiry but this looks to be more
refined.  I am not sure what the definitions are of these distinctions
because Steve and i can think of two possibilities, and there may well be
others.  Please, be assured that I will be trying to look up the terms,
but if someone who knows them can step up and provide them it would help
greatly, esp.  since it appears that multiple studies on vision appear in
forms that can not be enlarged and I am vision impaired in more than one
way.  You would think that if anyone were to have the sense to put their
studies into forms which could be enlarged it would be those studying
vision, wouldn't you?  Frustrating...

So, I am looking to see what else is new.  Often there will be some
studies vet members and others want to search into more thoroughly.
This is by no means a full list of the recent ones in Pub Med which
involve ferrets.

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16622191&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable souls will want to comment on
this study because I thought that ferrets were less likely to get non-A
strains, anyway, and less likely to have bade infections from non-A
strains so I would wonder if that would affect one aspect of this study.

> Infect Immun. 2006 May;74(5):2562-7.
> Bacterial sinusitis and otitis media following influenza virus
> infection in ferrets.
> Peltola VT, Boyd KL, McAuley JL, Rehg JE, McCullers JA.
> Department of Infectious Diseases, St. Jude Children's Research
> Hospital, 332 N. Lauderdale St., Memphis, TN 38105-2794, USA.
>
>Streptococcus pneumoniae is the leading cause of otitis media,
>sinusitis, and pneumonia.  Many of these infections result from
>antecedent influenza virus infections.  In this study we sought to
>determine whether the frequency and character of secondary pneumococcal
>infections differed depending on the strain of influenza virus that
>preceded bacterial challenge.  In young ferrets infected with influenza
>virus and then challenged with pneumococcus, influenza viruses of any
>subtype increased bacterial colonization of the nasopharynx.  Nine out
>of 10 ferrets infected with H3N2 subtype influenza A viruses developed
>either sinusitis or otitis media, while only 1 out of 11 ferrets
>infected with either an H1N1 influenza A virus or an influenza B virus
>did so.  These data may partially explain why bacterial complication
>rates are higher during seasons when H3N2 viruses predominate.  This
>animal model will be useful for further study of the mechanisms that
>underlie viral-bacterial synergism.
>
> PMID: 16622191 [PubMed - in process]

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16621180&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

> Vaccine. 2006 Mar 20; [Epub ahead of print]
> Interfering vaccine (defective interfering influenza A virus)
> protects ferrets from influenza, and allows them to develop solid
> immunity to reinfection.
> Mann A, Marriott AC, Balasingam S, Lambkin R, Oxford JS, Dimmock NJ.
> Retroscreen Virology Ltd., Barts and London Hospital Medical
> School, 327 Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK.
>
>Defective interfering (DI) virus RNAs result from major deletions in
>full-length viral RNAs that occur spontaneously during de novo RNA
>synthesis.  These RNAs are packaged into virions that are by definition
>non-infectious, and are delivered to cells normally targeted by the
>virion.  DI RNAs can only replicate with the aid of a coinfecting
>infectious helper virus, but the small size of DI RNA allows more copies
>of it to be made than of its full-length counterpart, so the cell
>produces defective virions in place of infectious progeny.  In line with
>this scenario, the expected lethal disease in an influenza A virus-mouse
>model is made subclinical by administration of DI virus, but animals
>develop solid immunity to the infecting virus.  Hence DI virus has been
>called an 'interfering vaccine'.  Because interfering vaccine acts
>intracellularly and at a molecular level, it should be effective against
>all influenza A viruses regardless of subtype.  Here we have used the
>ferret, widely acknowledged as the best model for human influenza.  We
>show that an interfering vaccine with defective RNAs from an H3N8 virus
>almost completely abolished clinical disease caused by A/Sydney/5/97
>(H3N2), with abrogation of fever and significant reductions in clinical
>signs of illness.  Animals recovered fully and were solidly immune to
>reinfection, in line with the view that treatment converts the otherwise
>virulent disease into a subclinical and immunizing infection.
>
> PMID: 16621180 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16617048&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

> Vet Rec. 2006 Apr 15;158(15):523.
> Detection of feline infectious peritonitis virus-like antigen in
> ferrets.
> Martinez J, Ramis AJ, Reinacher M, Perpinan D.
> Facultat de Veterinaria, Edifici V, Universitat Autonoma de
> Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain.

No Abstract on site yet.

> PMID: 16617048 [PubMed - in process]

I have been in touch with Dr. Reinacher and they have not yet done the
portion of the study which will look more closely to see if they might
be encountering an antigen to ECE.

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16604068&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

> Nat Neurosci. 2006 May;9(5):676-81. Epub 2006 Apr 9.
> The development of direction selectivity in ferret visual cortex
> requires early visual experience.
> Li Y, Fitzpatrick D, White LE.
> Department of Neurobiology, Doctor of Physical Therapy Division,
> Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA.
>
>Development of the selective response properties that define columns
>in sensory cortex is thought to begin early in cortical maturation,
>without the need for experience.  We investigated the development of
>direction selectivity in ferret visual cortex using optical imaging
>and electrophysiological techniques and found an exception to this
>view.  Unlike orientation selectivity and ocular dominance, direction
>selectivity was not detected at eye opening.  Direction selectivity
>emerged several days later and strengthened to adult levels over the
>following 2 weeks.  Visual experience was essential for this process, as
>shown by the absence of direction selectivity in dark-reared ferrets.
>The impairment persisted in dark-reared ferrets that were given
>experience after this period, despite the recovery of response amplitude,
>preference and bandwidth for stimulus orientation, spatial and temporal
>frequency, and contrast.  Visual experience in early postnatal life
>plays a necessary and unique role in the development of cortical
>direction selectivity.
>
> PMID: 16604068 [PubMed - in process]

The above is intriguing because it indicates that young kits among
polecats may be removed from burrows early on and off, or perhaps that
polecats may differ from domestic ferrets in this regard, i.e. a possible
domestication difference.  If anyone has any "leaving or no leaving
burrow in early kithood" wild polecat studies I would appreciate that
data.

Hopefully, no one's ferret will wind up having cortical procedures of the
brain, but this article apparently gives the compiled data needed to know
where the visual field lies:

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16597351&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

Cloned ferrets:
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16584722&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum>

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org