From:
Stephenie Baas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:18:13 +0100
Hi everyone

I have been reading the FML now for about two weeks and have seen so many
stories about deaf ferrets, I know that in America you are used to these
kind of problems, here in Holland ferrets have only been sold in pet
shops for the last few years and we only started to get the color
definitions when pet shops picked up on the popularity of ferrets, about
a year ago I took in a ferret because he had started biting and his owner
had become to frighten to handle him, I only had him a week before the
vet said there was nothing more we could do for him, It broke my hart to
see what people will do for money, I wrote this poem for him when I sent
his soul to my treasure chest at the end of the rainbow

Stephenie

Toby

Toby was called a harlequin

In a pet shop he was sold

Toby never even reached the age

Of only two years old

Toby died all-alone in his dark and quiet brain

The last few days he suffered wrapped up in his pain

Manipulation of his genes for the want of human kind

Had left him deaf from his birth and later left him blind

Now if Mother Nature cannot always get

The formula correct, right down to the letter

What in gods name makes breeders think?

That they can do it better

Toby paid the price of mans superiority and greed

To breed a different color one nature had not decreed

He died in pain he could not hear and no longer see

Mother nature had not meant for Toby's genes to be

Toby died all alone locked in his dark world of pain

He would never understand the meaning of gentle hands again

Although I tried to help him He was locked up there to stay

All I could do for Toby was help him gently on his way

Toby was not meant to be