From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 1995 14:27:21 CDT
Our cats have never cared one way or the other about the ferrets. We thought
that maybe the ferrets would perk the cats up and give them some exercise. But
no - we got no response. They only sniffed and then walked away. We have one
male cat almost 8 years old, one male cat almost 5 years old and a rescue
kitten came to live with when he was only a couple weeks old. This little
5 week old kitten (who is now going on 3 years) was raised by our ferrets. He
was smaller than they were and they pulled him around and let him sleep in
their hammock with them. Now he is a regular sized cat (about 12 pounds) and
he still likes to sleep in their cage (although he doesn't fit so good and
he kind of makes the 2nd floor cave in with his weight) and the ferrets will
sleep on the bed with him too. He also has kind of a ferret personality, if you
leave your coat on the floor or sofa, Smudge (cat) will tunnel into the arm
like a ferret - he usually gets stuck though cause he is too big. When he
started growing and getting bigger than the ferrets he was so confused. He
would try and get in their tent and in the PVC pipe and all of a sudden he
didn't fit anymore... It was really funny. The two older cats were never phased
by the new ferret additions - however, bring in another cat or dog and all hell
breaks lose - clawing, hissing, running, etc.  Charlene