Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 22:26:44 -0800
It's ironic that the post came up about home-based shelters being
overwhelmed.  I run a shelter in Michigan and can't believe how many
kids have needed our help.  We have many, many kids that have come in
that will never leave.  It is sad, it is heart-breaking but it is also
something that I dedicate my life to.  There are currently 81 ferrets in
our shelter system, of the 81, 18 are healthy enough to go to new homes.
That leaves an overwhelming 63 kids needing special care, some around
the clock.  I currently have 55 of the kids here, and the others are in
foster care.  My day starts at 7am and ends between 2 or 3am.  Sleep??
What is that???  But, knowing that I am making a difference, that I am
helping furkids that could be suffering from being in bad situations, I
wouldn't have it any other way.  I couldn't live with myself if the one
ferret I sent to a humane society or to a countly shelter died because
his/her needs weren't met.  No way, no how.  I developed a deep passion
for what I do.  It has become a part of me that will be with me forever.
Whoever said that we shelter moms make alot of sacrifices hit the nail on
the head.  In 2004, $15,000.00 was spent on vet bills alone, that doesn't
include food, supplies or educational material.  I spent the money we
saved to remodel our house, on the furkids.  The sacrifice is so worth
it.  And...well....I spend so much time in the ferret rooms, I don't see
the rest of the house anyways!!!

With that said, I also want to introduce a great program that my
volunteers came up with.  We have started to post some of the needy kids
on our website.  Each ferret has his/her own page and a donation button
for anyone that would like to sponsor them.  Having so many charges in
our care, we don't have time to plan fundraisers and we don't have our
paperwork finished yet for 501c3.  To be honest, I think the lack of
sleep has made it almost impossible for me to comprehend the paperwork!!

If you check out our site, please, drop us a line and let us know what
you think, what changes should be made and who captured your heart.
There are so many wonderful kids in all of the shelter systems so if
you can, find a shelter to help.  Give that shelter mom break, a pat on
the back and let her know that you support her, believe me, we need it
sometimes.

Lora Blaisdell - President
Michigan Ferret Rescue inc.
www.miferretrescue.org