From:
Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:38:32 +0800
>From:    Karen Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Red Rearended Ferret...
>Her little rear end is red and looks irritated.
>You know that their little poop shoot is barely noticeable, well this is
>right there and there is no missing this one.

Sounds like a prolapsed rectum to me.  This is where part of the intestine
sticks out - from straining usually.  How are her poopies lately?  Runny,
hard & firm, or none at all?  There is information on the Ferret FAQ on
this at http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/part4.html#prolapse

To solver this problem - look at her bum.  Is it really, really red and
sticking out more than 1/8 of an inch you may want to take her to the vet -
this is most likely an infection (the really, erally, redness) and she will
need an antiboitic.  If it is just sticking out a little, then clean it up
(litter and dirt tends to stick to it).  Be very careful when you do this
and try to just use a very mild soap (if any at all).  Apply a hemroidial
ointment and put it on all over the rectum.  THis will help kill the pain
for her, keep it moist, etc.  You will need to do this a few times a day.
It is pretty painful (the cleaning up & stuff - so a helper to scruff her
is good - it hurts so she may try to bite.)  Try to find out what is causing
this strain.  Loose stools?  Is she ill?  Hard stools?  Is she getting
enough water?  Is she not drinking?  If she pooping at all?  Is there a
blockage?

Good luck!

Amy Flemming