From:
Rick White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:31:27 EST
>From:    Risa Di Vincenzo  <[log in to unmask]>
>We have all seen the help shelters need over the years.  The large
>rescues and individual heart breaking cases have continued.  We've
>witnesses personal crisis overtaking shelter operators also.  Now we
>see many shelters closing.  What I'm wondering is if pehaps home
>shelters are not possibly feasible for long term.
>
>Any thoughts or experiences anyone would like to respond with?  Is this
>something that can happen.  Has it been tried?  Is it in the works?  Can
>there be a united ferret effort to make this happen?

OMG!  In this day and time, when I see one of these post I want to
scream.  If there was any money in ferret rescue, the HSUS, ASPCA and
Local Humane Shelters would be trying to close down every private
ferret rescue in the Nation.  Local Humane Societies and ASPCA's are
Individually ran and operated by Local Boards that have National
Affiliations of Name and Agenda only.  They ALL rely on Local Funding
from Local Businesses and Local Private Donations.  The HSUS, Fund for
Animals, AHA, AHLN, ASPCA, PETA, Voice for Animals, Antivivisection
League and other National Organizations provide NO funding to any Local
Shelter.  Some Local shelters DO take in surrendered ferrets provided
they are accompanied by a donation/fee.  What happens to the ferret after
that is a good question in most cases.  SAFE has a working agreement
where the local HS/ASPCA keeps the surrender fee but we get the ferret.
This is an acceptable plan for us at present, but not for everyone I'm
sure; and probably not forever for us either.  Saving the ferret always
comes first at SAFE.

1. Do Local HS/ASPCA shelters have the money or the veterinary know-how
to care for ferrets?  The actual question should be, "Do they want to
expend funds for ferrets?"

The answer to both questions, regardless of how it's asked is, NO!  The
real money maker is puppies and kittens and that's where the real effort
is expended.

2. Do they have any desire to help domestic ferrets?  There is no money
to be made in dealing with sick ferrets (or old dogs or cats), When your
Annual Budget runs into the $500,000 to a Million Dollar bracket just
for shelter Personnel Salaries and Perks, there is no money left over
for the "little or no, money making animals".  These Organizations call
it, "putting the money where it will do the most good".  The literal
translation is, "spend money only where it will bring in more money".

3. Has a co-operative rescue effort been tried with other local shelters?
Some local ferret rescue/shelters have working rescue plans with
Municipal and Local shelters.  Many of these plans are set up with
agreements to take the ferrets when called; no paperwork, no fees, no
questions.  The ferret is the winner here, and that's what the mission
is all about.

4. Can there be a united ferret effort to make this happen?  Local
ferret rescuers must accept the fact that a sick or surrendered ferret
in your hands is better than a dead ferret in a local Municipal Shelter
or HS/ASPCA Shelter dumpster.  Locals work better with Locals!

I'm certain these aren't the answers you wanted and I wish the real world
was the "pretty picture" we all dream of, but the real world is not
always pretty.  Rescue/Sheltering "is not easy, and it's not for the
queasy"!  Make a choice to make a difference: Rescue.

Dooks and  Blessings,

Rick White
San Antonio area Ferret Enthusiasts  (SAFE)
P.O.Box 190042
San Antonio, TX 78220-7000
Web site: _www.saferrets.org_ (http://www.saferrets.org)