From:
Kim Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:29:50 -0600
Hi all.  I know I haven't given anyone much time to respond, but I have
more to add to my story.  I watched Helena last night, very carefully.
I noted that she was hungrier than heck, but for some reason, was not
eating.  She walked to the food dishes, nosed the kibble around a bit -
but left it alone.  It was while I watched her do that, that it became
apparent to me - there is more to this picture.  So - I did a little
test.  I took down a saucer, and I loaded it with the following:
Ferretone, Ferrevite, the soft ferret snacks that she loves so much, cat
chow, ferret food and kitten chow.  These are all her favorites.  She
would not take a lick.  It seems to me that this is happening because she
doesn't seem to "smell" them.  When I picked her up to try and feed her
manually, the only way she would eat some is if I tapped her on her nose,
and waited for the open mouth, to put a bit on.  This seemed to work for
a couple bites, but she still wasn't eating enough to keep an ant alive.
She seems to be becoming confused (ferret alzheimer's?).  I am wondering
how much of her confusion is based on her lack of eating enough?  I spent
approximately 3 hours last night, (every 1/2 hour or so) - getting some
of the "babyfood" concoction I mixed up down her.  That was a job and a
half - and has given me a real respect for the babies in this world who
have to eat that horrid stuff - *grins*.

I did put a call back in to the vet - asked him for more of the
anti-biotic/pain reliever compound and am waiting on a return call.  The
worst part about all of this is that since I have been off work for so
long (and NOT because I wanted to be - jobs here are harder than he** to
find) - I don't have the money to spend on more blood tests, etc.  Does
anyone out there know how incredibly horrid I feel about that?  When we
first became ferret parents, we knew that they came with a "higher" than
normal - expense.  We at that time, HAD the money set aside.  What I
DIDN'T know - is that because ferrets are considered "exotics" - that the
vets charge DOUBLE the amount they would to "office call" a cat, or dog.
How fair is that?  Anyway's back to the request for advise.  Does anyone
out there know of any Albuquerque vet's - who first know about ferrets (I
called 7 clinics before I got a "yeah, I have seen em before.....vet),
and is willing to work on a "payment" plan?  I am back to work now (2
weeks and holding) - but we are so far behind the eightball, I don't know
when we'll see the light of day again.........

Please feel free to email me any info you all may have.  I need some
direction - and NOT criticism for not having the money "set aside"
already.  Been there, done that.  Still trying.  And will continue to
do so, til I can't no more.

Kim and Her Army of Idiots

Kimberly Gorman
IT/Telcom Analyst - CSSC