From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:14:55 EDT
LIFE and GLFA:
Thanks to all who either posted or e-mailed me privately to tell me I
"goofed".  LOL

Somewhere in the back of my mind I'm sure I really knew that LIFE wasn't
judging at the GLFA Michigan show...but when you get to be my age...well,
you don't always *know* what you know.  So, my apologies...

Anne...
for the most part I think judges do a great job.  I think it has to be an
incredibly difficult job...I love every ferret I see and think most should
win first place!  I'd obviously never be a good judge.  :) I adopted a
ferret from GCFA last summer...he was a whole hob found wandering around in
the next county.  They neutered him and I entered him in the show...kind of
on a lark.  He won first place in one alter ring and second in another.  I
don't personally *know* any of the alter ring judges, so I do know that
anyone's ferret can win.

Zen:
I'll talk to my vet about Galaxy-D for Cara Mia.  I had the impression
(don't remember where from) that it hadn't been proven to be effective...
but I'd rather try it than not get her vaccinated.

Cara Mia will attend the GCFA show this year.  I'm entering her in the
Geriatric Ring this time.  If you aren't judging that ring, I'll bring her
around and introduce her to you before the judging starts...if I can find
you!  I tried to talk to you after the show last year, but you were busy
with other people and we couldn't hang around any longer.  Yes, you did
judge Cara Mia last year and the year before.  Naturally, I couldn't tell
you that.  <g> She did win a 5th place last year, but I don't know from
what judge.  I was so busy stewarding for Sally Heber and then having to
get pictures taken with Kodi, that I never even heard her number called.
I found out a couple of months later...what an awful ferret mom!  I felt
soooo guilty.  She has forgiven me, although it took a while.

Personally, I think we Chicago area folk do take great care of our fuzzies.
My "stray", Kodiak took first place in your ring as a matter of fact.  That
wasn't all to my credit, though...I'd only had him a couple of months.  I
really do try very hard to take the best care of my ferrets possible and
have been fortunate enough to have received compliments from several
people who have visited my home...Bob C and Sam Young to name two.  (Yes,
yes...I'm flagrantly bragging here).  Sam's visit is the reason I am
proudly owned by Charmin' Charlie...one of Sam's last litter that came to
the U.S.  Amy Flemming knew I wanted White Russian, but talked to someone
who had been to my home before she offered him to me.  (Thank you Amy!)
Most of the people associated with GCFA also consider their ferrets their
companions and care for them them accordingly.  Since Bob C's chicken gravy
recipe was posted, I've spent far more time in the kitchen cooking for my
fur kids than my family!  My kids say the ferrets are far more spoiled than
they ever were.  I just feel that I'm responsible for the ferrets that I
adopt and bring into my home.  They get the best that I'm able to provide.

BOB C
The sleep debt could very well have been my kids fault!  I have to admit
I've never met anyone that knows enough about each of their interests to
keep them enthralled for hours...if they had their way, you wouldn't have
gotten any sleep at all!  (Personally, I found your theories on the
neodarwinist evolutionary implications of the Turnerian Chimp Channel being
broadcast in southernese utterly fascinating!)  I did start to doze when you
started talking about ferrets, though.  NOT! <g>

Did you get Mickey and Minnie from Dakota's Mom, Meg?  She did say I could
have a kit...can you put in a good word for me for a really BIG boy?  Or,
better yet...keep the garlic wine and drop Mickey Moose off here next time
you're in the area.  Just let us know when you're arriving so we can run
out and get another poorboy smothered in garlic butter and HUGE onion rings
for you.  (I really think *that's* what kept you up most of the night). ;)

Carl e-mailed you once about the games...did you ever answer him?  His
screen name is Arr Gyle...I'll tell him to try again.

As for the chicken gravy...I was already making that before your visit...so
sleep deprivation had nothing to do with it.  I really enjoyed the story
posted about making chicken gravy...I may be one of the only ones who buy
whole chickens and whack them up with a meat cleaver before putting them in
the blender.  *Parts* of chickens (bones, innards, etc.) are not an unusual
sight on my walls...or my eyeglasses, either.  I laughed till I cried when
I read his story...now I know to buy saran wrap by the case.

Judy