From:
"Leanne M.W. Eggert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 13:45:59 -0800
Howdy all,
     I've been watching all the talk about the various foods that people
have been feeding their fuzzies lately, and I just thought I'd contribute
my own opinion.  When I got my ferrets I started feeding them Iams on the
suggestion of the shelter where I got them.  They seem to be doing really
well on it.  The shelter (and a friend of mine with 11 ferrets) made a
point to tell me that common grocery store foods such as Cat Chow... and
other such foods, were not acceptable for ferrets.  I was told that they
contain unhealthy dyes and that they don't have enough fat and animal
protein (not plant protein) for our little carnivores.  The
criterion that they suggested I look at before I chose a food was that
meat composed the first three ingredients.  Many of the grocery store cat
foods (which we had been feeding our kitties) contained grains in the top
three ingredients which would make digestion difficult.
        After we switched them from the food we got from the shelter we
chose the lamb and rice Iams.  This was best for Jasmine because she had a
hard time chewing the other, larger kibbles.  Since they have been on this
food, they have been eating and eliminating less, but they've both gained
weight and become very healthy looking ferrets.  It seems that they don't
need the same bulk of food because they can process it easier.  An eight
pound bag of Iams lasts for two months so even though it is more
expensive, it lasts a really long time.  We've started feeding our cats
the Iams chicken flavor also.
                My friend once adopted a ferret from a man who had been feeding
the ferret low quality cat food.  Cooper (the ferret) had a bright red
coat which my friend thought looked very unnatural.  She took him to the
vet and he said it could be caused by two things:
1)  Dyes in the cat food he had previously been eating.
2)  Copper defficiency.
She felt like it was the first explanation because he grew in a brownish
coat almost immediately after she got him.  She has become a real
advocate of both Iams and Science Diet.  Actually, we both prefer Iams,
but either is a good choice for ferrets.  (I'm sure the diets made
especially for ferrets are good, too, but mine didn't like the taste of
them.  Also, I'm sure there are other high quality cat foods that vets
and pet stores may be able to suggest.)
        This has gotten really long, but I want to just ask one question
of the vets on the FML.  How do the taurine levels compare in the high
quality cat foods and in foods such as Iams?

Thanks for being so patient through this long post.

Leanne Eggert + Riley and Jasmine