From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 17:40:14 -0700
One of my ferrets (the one who weighs over four lbs in the winter) goes
through an extreme coat change and major weight loss during early spring
(about six to seven ounces).  The first year this happened, I freaked out
and took him to the vet.  There was nothing wrong with him, so it was
concluded that he is a very "seasonal" ferret.  He becomes less interested
in what the others are doing, but it does not seem like depression.  He
also does not eat as much for about two weeks.

I am wondering if this is something that the black-footed ferret also goes
through in the "wild".  Any ideas?  Birds also have gone through this
(molting) so I wonder if it is a trait of ferrets too.

It is definitely very alarming to see this happen, but now that I know he
goes through it, I don't worry like before - it is like clockwork with him.

Please, those of you who are experiencing this and never have before, I
urge you to make sure it is not something more serious.  Don't assume it
is the same thing as what I have just shared, unless you have experienced
it repeatedly every year.

Off to do laundry and find sock matches.