From:
Brian Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 15:39:17 -0500
Nixon has only urinated since his rabies shot.  I consulted my vet, who gave
me the number of a more experienced ferret vet.  I talked to him and he told
me to give him a mix of soft cat food and mineral oil.  However, I
remembered reading on the FML that mineral oil wasn't recommended.  I have
tried to give this to him, but he doesn't like it too much.  He has eaten
some of it and "pooped" (can't think of a better term) a tiny bit in the
corner a little while after eating, but not nearly as much as he regularly
does.  He seemed to eat his regular food ok (a little ferretone and Iams
Kitten Food) and when out of his cage seems to be active.  Any thoughts?

As to the person concerned about content, this is not a flame, and perhaps
this topic should be addressed by BIG himself however....

Although, you may not want to read about it, these messages are usually
recognizable by their subject heading or at least by the first few lines of
the body of the message.  If you don't want to read any more, go directly to
the next message.  However, this list seems to me to be about sharing --
sharing the joy, sorrow and the range of motions in between, that are
associated with the ownership of ferrets.  You may consider almost everyone
on the board a stranger.  Many of us don't.  I have never met anyone else on
this list personally and aside from a few private email messages about
cages, etc, I haven't really "talked" to anyone either.  However, their are
some people on this list that I would define as "friends." I hear about
their ferrets weekly or more.  I worry about their ferrets health, just like
I would worry about my "real world" friends (as opposed to those know only
through the medium of cyber-space).  Often, you hear people telling the
grief-stricken to talk about it.  I can't really think of a better forum to
discuss the loss of a ferret than here.  Posting their grief here allows
those of us with similar experiences or kind words to help a friend in their
time of grief.  In my experience I have found that many of the people on the
FML are a special kind of person.  If I lost Nixon, I don't think that most
of my "real world" friends would understand what I was going through,
however, I know many of the people in this forum would.  As for prayers, if
you don't want to say them, don't.  By nature I am not a religious person,
others here are, so let them include someone else in their prayers.  No one
is trying to convert or offend you, they are merely asking for those with
similar beliefs to pray.  Is that really so terrible?

Like I said before this is not a flame and I'm sorry if I offended you.
However, you should remember that you don't have to read every message,
line, or word of each FML digest.  You can enjoy the FML your way by not
reading the "offending" messages, or if you start to read one then stop when
you realize it offends you, and subject headings should help you make these
determinations too.

Brian
Nixon, Asley, Quibby, Imus