From:
Lisa Kaliski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:54:19 -0600
Hi Everyone--

I have 3 wonderful ferrets who reside in my home who are considered
'permanent fosters' due to health issues and are not considered
'adoptable'.  Unfortunately, the board members of my local ferret rescue
have decided that the rescue will no longer pay for their care.  Gabriel,
a dark sable guy, is about 7 years old and has congestive heart failure.
Sebastian, a very handsome silver gentleman with a black nose, is about 6
years old and is insulinomic.  Their sister Gracie is about 3 1/2 years
old and a very pretty dark sable girl.  She does not have any health
issues, however, since the local ferret rescue does not split up groups,
she will stay with her brothers.  Gabriel is on Lasix and Sebastian is
taking Pred.  But, they are slowly declining and their medications were
just increased.  Gabriel is a fighter.  He loves to hide stuff toys and
pick on his fellow ferret friends.  Sebastian loves attention and is
happiest when he gets 'cuddles' from me and my husband.  Sebastian also
likes our cat Gabby but she does not want have anything to do with him.
Gracie is a fun-loving fert.  She loves playing in the rice box we have
set up.  Gracie just loves her brothers and I can usually find her
sleeping with one or both of them.  They all are very different but
bonded.  The trio were picked up from the Humane Society but there was
very little info on them other than that they were brought to the Humane
Society by the girlfriend of their guardian's brother.  She did not even
know their names.

I know in the past, the ferret rescue paid for the care of any ferret
that came in regardless of their health.  Those who were very ill were
taken care of by the rescue until they passed away.  Then, there was a
person who took in ferrets for 'hospice' care and any rescue ferret with
serious health issues were sent there.  But, it eventually got to be too
much for this person and they could no longer take in any more ferrets.
Now, the ferret rescue has 2 wonderful people, in addition to my husband
and I, who take in the rescue ferrets with serious health issues.  One
person adopts them outright and the other person keeps them as permanent
fosters and has been paying for their care out of her own pocket, by
choice.

I know many of you are probably wondering why my husband and I just adopt
them outright and take care of them.  The point is we took in these
ferrets to provide them with a home so they could spend their remaining
time in a home setting, not in a shelter.  I know money is always a big
factor for all rescues but I thought the rescue was going to provide for
food, litter, and any vet care and we were going to provide the TLC.
Now, we are left with struggling to find ways to make sure Gabriel and
Sebastian get their medication and vet care to monitor their health.  I
have a wonderful vet who is providing us with the medication they need
at a very reasonable cost.  But, they still need to be seen by a vet
and they still need to eat.  Gabriel and Sebastian prefer to eat 8 in 1
Ultimate while the rest of our ferret kids eat Totally Ferret.  Gracie
is not picky and will eat both.  Of course, there is the litter.  We are
able to get litter at a very reasonable price so that has not been a big
issue for us.  Of course, given Gracie's age, chances of adrenal disease
increases so then there will be the expense of her surgery.

My husband and I feel like these ferrets have been 'abandoned' by the
very rescue who took them in.  However, I want to clarify that this
ferret rescue HAS DONE WONDERFUL WORK and has taken in over 1400 ferrets
in almost 9 years and is well-known in the community.  But, in the last
several months there have been many changes.  The owner of this rescue
has had to take a big step back from the day to day operations and the
new 'director' has a different way of getting things done.  Currently,
the rescue ferrets are in foster care since the rescue no longer has a
central location in which to take care of the ferrets.  There is also
another rescue in the community but they are still trying to get things
together to set up the rescue.  The belief is the reason why the people
(who are volunteers for the long-standing ferret rescue) are trying to
start the new rescue is the possibility of the other rescue shutting
down.  But, the 'old' rescue is still going!!  So, only time will tell.

We are hoping to get help in taking care of ALL of the rescue's permanent
foster ferrets.  If anyone can help...or has suggestions...please let me
know.

Thank you.

LISA
Ferret mom to: Avery, Bear, Carlin, Erin, George, Lottie, Mikey, Molly,
Turner, Lucy Lu, and of course, our foster ferts Gabriel, Gracie and
Sebastian!!