From:
Ashley Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:14:33 -0500
My ferret, a 3 and a half year old female, has been diagnosed with kidney
tumors that could kill her in two weeks.  She started out losing hair and
we took her to the vet, afraid that it was adrenal problems.  The vet did
take blood and checked her corticol levels.  The blood was tested in the
vet's office.  She hasn't had any x-rays or ultrasounds.  The vet thought
it was just allergies and gave us Epi-soothe shampoo.  She grew some hair
back, but was lethargic and losing weight.  Last Sunday, we noticed that
her stomach had swollen up.  We couldn't get her to the vet until
Thursday.  He felt her stomach, looked her over, and decided that she had
kidney tumors.  I can actually feel the lumps on her abdomen.  What I
want to know is if anyone has had any experience with this or if they
have any suggestions.  The ferret is still eating, drinking, and going to
the bathroom and she is on laisex (through the vet) and pedia prednisone
(not through the vet).  We are taking her to another vet on March 4, to
see if they can help her a little more.  It is pretty urgent, so if you
have any suggestions, please don't hesitate.