Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 00:19:07 EDT
Hi James-

I congratulate you on your upcoming trip to visit your son.  I don't have
a shelter, but I do have 7 ferrets (has been as high as 10 in the past)
as well as 2 dogs and a bird.  We travel quite a bit, and this is what I
personally do.

The 2 dogs go to a kennel that I've checked out and trust completely.  For
the ferrets and bird, I use a pet sitting service.  It's always the same
girl who comes out, and before she came for the first time I had her come
over and meet everybody and learn the routine.  Each time we leave for a
trip I leave her a big list of detailed instructions, including who gets
what meds (usually only have 1 on meds at a time anyway).  I always make
sure they know to do a headcount before they leave, and I leave the phone
number I can be reached at as well as the vet's number and my parents
number as an additional emergency number.  I keep meaning to take pictures
of each ferret for an additional back-up, but right now my ferrets are all
easily distinguishable from each other, plus this girl knows them.  My vet
knows that she is to give whatever medical treatment she deems necessary
to any sick ferret in case of an emergency and I'm not reachable for some
reason.  So far this has worked out well for me.  I did a quick yellow
pages check on the internet for pet sitting services in Winter Haven and
didn't find anything specifically under "Pet Sitters", but did see several
kennels and "pet resorts".

While I doubt any of the places I saw would take in 15 ferrets, I would
suggest that you call them and explain your situation and ask if they know
of anyone reliable who does some home pet sitting (as in coming to your
home daily for feeding, checking water, light cleaning of litter
pans/papers, and a little play time) or would be willing to try it.  Or
try some vets offices.  I used to work for my ferret's vet and we knew of
a couple of people who did home pet sitting but didn't advertise in the
phone book, and a few of us employees did it sometimes as well.

Good luck- hopefully you can find someone to watch the "non-kennelable"
animals.  4 days is a long time to leave them unattended.  Maybe they'd be
okay, but why risk it?  Plus even if they were okay in the food and water
department, don't you think they'd feel abandoned?  I'd be worried that
new behaviors might emerge out of loneliness or depression or frustration.
Maybe some would quit eating, or one would decide to dump or knock off all
the water supplies, or something even worse.  I'm babbling now, but you
get my drift.  I'd try calling around and seeing what you can find.

Good luck, and have a great visit with your son!
Jamie