From:
Ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:53:28 +0100
>From:    amos <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I have been searching through the UK charity commissions records to find
>out which ferret rescues are registering as a charity.
>
>Do you know that I could not find one UK Ferret rescues that is a
>registered charities.  But at shows and on the Internet some say they are
>charities.  For more information about registering as a charity, contact
>the Charity Commission phone 0870 333 0123 or get onto their Web site.

Why are you so concerned about UK ferret rescues being registered
charities?  What is the underlying reason for your concern and why is it
so important to you?  In actual fact being a registered charity can be
counter productive.  Ferret welfares/rescues are all non-profit making
organisations - in fact, I would say that most run at a loss with the
person running the rescue dipping into their own pockets to ensure that
the ferrets do not go short of anything.

Some ferret rescues who have made enquiries about becoming registered
charities have been informed by the Charities Commission that they do not
receive enough in donations or that it would not be in the interests of
the ferrets or the person running the rescue to become a registered
charity.