Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 01:46:07 -0400
thanx to everybody who replied about how to give sub-q as a single
person. I think the biggest thing seems to be temperature. warm up the
fluids and the ferret will fuss less. most people also seem to prefer
syringes, and a lot of people think 30ml is a lot, which surprised me,
since I'm sure I used to give Sand 60ml each day, and I'm currently
supposed to give Popcorn 100ml every 2 days (they suggest doing 2
sites, and I'm doing it everyday, though probably only getting around
30ml in. also Sand and Popcorn were/are 3lb males). some people even
managed to do it when the ferret is asleep!! there's no way that's
going to work for me. so last night I tried to use a syringe, and
realized I really really don't like it. I had been wondering why I
didn't get the nervous shiver down my back that I got with Sand when I
give Popcorn his fluids ... well, its because I was using a drip and
not a syringe. I was way more nervous with the syringe, especially
trying to push it slowly. I ended up getting my boyfriend to hold
Popcorn to minimize movement

so today, I decided to try with just warming the fluids. since I'm not
supposed to warm up the whole bag, I headed one of those neck warming
bags and then put the tube in the middle to warm it up. and then I let
the tube between the bag while I fed Popcorn his raw chicken. I was
able to give him a good size lump of fluid without him getting fidgety
at all. so I think I'm going to stick with this. the nice thing about
dripping is that I have one hand holding the needle to the ferret and
my other hand is free. no such luck with the syringe.

thanx for all the suggestions.

Selina