From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 11:19:27 -0500
I'm currently working with two young biters, 6 months old.  They were
shipped from one pet store to another.  When I went in to evaluate them at
the second pet store, I was promptly shown how serious their bites can be.
I ended up with severe bites to my finger and thumb.  Couldn't get the
little one to let go, even though she was scruffed, and finally after about
10 minutes (and blood galore pooling on the floor) I relented and quickly
dipped her head under cold running water in the faucet.  She let go but she
was really mad and continued to try and grab me again.  The two girls were
sent home with an employee to work with.  After two months no progress had
been made and the girls were rarely let out as they would chase their
caretaker and climb her to bite.  She always wore gloves to handle them.

These two girls came to me.  For the first two days they spent all their
time in a 30x24x30 2 full level cage equipped with all the luxuries,
necessities and fun stuff.  Each time I opened the door I'd have the
linatone and give them some so I could clean the age.  I'd place my hands
on the cage wire and let them sniff.  Finally the time came that they were
acclimated to us and I let them out in the evenings.  They'd follow me and
nibble on the rubber of my tennis shoes.  When they'd get too involved in
this activity, a very gentle tap on the bottom would send them scurrying
for cover.  As they'd scurry away, I'd reach down and tickle their backs.
After a few days I left them out all night.  Unfortunately I left the ramp
to my bed up and Nibbles decided at midnight it was time to go back in the
cage so she let me know in a bitey manner.  I shook my head and she plopped
to the floor.  I peered over the side and there she was looking up at me
with a definite "Gotcha!" look on her face.  I grabbed the linatone and
gently picked her up and put her back in her cage for the night.

We tried again, but this time I put the ramp done.  For several nights now
they've been out all night with no rude awakenings.

Last night she came up on the futon and laid beside me.  Just layed there.
She nosed my arm, which I gently and slowly moved away, went to the other
side and nosed the other arm.  I scritched her back between the shoulders
and she humped up and stood on her tippy toes pushing her body into my
fingers.  Her tailed frizzed.  She turned and gently grabbed my finger
(well gently for her).  I took my other hand and opened her mouth and
removed my finger.  Only an indentation.  Another crossroad. :-)  We've
reached this point with no physical punishment what so ever, only using
gentleness and earning their trust.  Nibbles has come a long way in the
short time I've had her and her sister too, although I must admit that I'm
working more one on one with Nibbles.  Jewels is quite funny and bounces
around the house.  She gets along with most of the others and will
occassionally come find me to nibble on my shoes to get me to dance too.
She is the skitzy one.  Walk into a room and she isn't expecting you she
zooms off, usually into something like a door or cage, with a thump then
looks around wondering what happened.  Silly critter.

Anyway, my point is that when I train biters, I use a slow, gentle
technique and that before the actual training begins, I must earn their
trust.  Once they trust me, training is much easier.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity