From:
Jaymi Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:27:47 -0500
I wanted to respond to this post:
>From:    Lori Nisja <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: needing advice

Obviously, I don't know what your ferrets may have (I'm no vet), but I
wanted to share this story with you.  I adopted Samson (2 yrs.  old) at the
end of October.  He came home with "stress" diarreha (sp?) that cleared up
after a couple of days.  Then it came back full force.  It (his poop) ranged
from a bright green to yellow to dark brown.  I mentioned this to the vet
(when I took my other 3 in for shots, and Samson in to get his stiches out)
who told me to bring in a stool sample if it didn't clear up in a couple of
days.  That was on a Friday, so on Monday I brought in a fresh sample.  The
next day it came back negative for anything (that they can test for).  Well,
Samson was slowing withering away.  In 2 weeks he went from 2.2 lbs to 1.6
lbs. and he has the body structure of a ferret that should weigh over 3
lbs.  I called talked to my old vet in Minneapolis, who couldn't figure it
out (everything she thought of doing I had already tried), so I went into my
vet here and got some Nutrical (on top of the diarreha, Samson wasn't eating
or drinking).  I had been trying to force different forms of Duck Soup down
him, along with Pedialyte and water.  I got him into the vet the next day
(it wasn't my usual vet) who said Samson was on Death's doorstep.  She took
a stool sample there, and said he had Giardia (which doesn't come up unless
the stool is taken there and tested right away).  He was on doses of meds
(Flagyl) for about 5 days, and after 2 days he was eating again (the first
in almost 2 weeks) and his diarreha had cleared up.  Thank God he slept in a
different cage as my others (this is easily transferred from one ferret to
another from what I have heard), and only was in contact with them when they
played.  Giardia is spread from oral-fecal contact, so, if I'm not mistaken,
if they share a litter box, they both will get it (if one has it).  I have
heard of humans getting it from ferrets, too (but that's hard to do).  As
far as I know, Samson had it when I adopted him, but I haven't been able to
call the shelter to see if that's true.  When I got him, either they didn't
mention it, or really didn't know.  I had to disinfect everything Samson
came in contact with (poop wise) including corners (accidents), his cage
floor, and his litter pan.  Right now Samson is still isolated from the
other fuzzies (seperate room and play time), even though he is well.  It was
suggested that we kept them apart for another month.  And at the end of the
month, he needs to be re-tested for insulinoma (fasting), but that's another
story....Again, I don't know what your fuzzies have, but your story was
similar to mine and Samson's, before I knew what was "wrong" with him.  Like
you, I thought it was a blockage, but because he wasn't vomiting, it wasn't
likely that was what he had.  You may want to check with the owners of the
ferrets that visited on Halloween.  Maybe theirs are sick, also.  I do hope
that you find out what is making your ferts sick.  Give them hugs from all
of us.  Take care.

Jaymi (The Hooman that is owned by the "Rulers")
Leroy, Petra, Kirby, and Samson (The "Rulers")
Toon the Chinchilla ("Hey!  Don't forget me!")