From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:56:34 -0400
I would like to make a tiny suggestion. How about just calling them the
rescues from Colorado? Or some other inocuous term. Unfortunately, when
this sort of label is put on a rescue, too often the poor ferrets are
forever referred to that way. For some very strange reason (to me),
people are proud to say they have a Colorado Box Ferret or a DMK
ferret, or whatever. I always feel sorry for the poor ferrets. It's
like a parent always saying "this is my adopted son", rather than
"this is my son".

Once they are removed, why don't we let them start over and only look
forward, rather than forever looking back? I have taken in ferrets from
various "rescues" over the years, and once they are here, they are just
ferrets, part of the family, with no labels. If I have to discuss them
in context, I may mention their origin, but try not to do that unless
it is a necessity.

Some (many?) may disagree but this is certainly a pet peeve of mine.

Katharine
Florida