From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 21:24:43 -0500
I contacted DEFFBAM (Domestic European Ferret Fanciers & Breeders
Association of Minnesota) about my puzzlement over where FFZs
might be in MN (I'm in Minneapolis).  The following info is taken
from that conversation, but shouldn't be taken as direct quotes.
Opinions expressed are probably mine, and should be assumed as such.
(So there, Mpls Animal Control!)

I had been told by Mpls Animal Control that ferrets are prohibited,
but found out from DEFFBAM that ferrets per se aren't restricted,
but Mpls laws prohibit the owning of a pet that is vicious or wild
by nature.  Animal Control counts ferrets as such, but it would
probably take some kind of complaint to bring them to your door.
Ferrets are not restricted in Hennepin County (where Mpls and some
suburbs are located).  Two cities I contacted, Golden Valley and
Hopkins, stated that they prohibit ferret ownership, but the person
from DEFFBAM said that they're probably using the same wildness/
viciousness criteria, and not a prohibition directly aimed at ferrets.
Minneapolis, and probably other cities, have received info from
DEFFBAM on the gentleness/tameness/domestication of ferrets, and on
the effectiveness of the rabies vaccine, but the attitudes haven't
changed.  ("Do the math" yourself on what this means; I have my
own opinion.)

There have been 2 cases in the last 2 years of ferrets _allegedly_
(I don't believe there was any proof of a bite, much less broken
skin) biting humans, one in Mpls and one in St. Louis Park (same
county; has no restrictions on ferret ownership from my call to
City Hall).  In both cases, the ferrets were seized and destroyed
to test for rabies.  The owners sued over seizure of property
without compensation (and maybe notice/due cause), and won out of
court settlements - $1500 in Mpls, $3500 in St. Louis Park.  I know
that can't heal a grieving heart, but perhaps these and other cities
will be more careful about such investigations, and perhaps even
quarantine the ferrets instead of killing them.

A suggestion about FFZs and their justifications:  If the "inefficacy"
of the rabies vaccine is mentioned as a reason, ask for that in
writing.  Send a copy to the vaccine manufacturers, with a letter
about how their products are being libeled.  (Same thing if you see
it reported in a newspaper article, etc.)  It could maybe work...

Finally, St. Paul is _not_ a FFZ, as a previous poster from there
asserted.  There is a restrictive ferret permit process (license;
permission from 75% of neighbors within 150 feet and/or the land-
lord/lady), but I believe it is being challenged in court regarding
a possible violation of federal right to privacy laws.  A man there
was fined for not having a permit, and is pursuing the issue in
court!

If you're a Minnesotan, spread this news - the misconception that
Hennepin Co. is a FFZ has really spread, and I'm sure that the
attitude of Mpls Animal Control hasn't helped.  Join DEFFBAM too,
and/or other ferret organizations.  (I'm only a member of DEFFBAM,
nothing else - I just want the facts about ferrets to be spread
in as many ways as possible.)

Not even signing my name, just in case...  I'll move out of this
place eventually, and don't want Animal Control to make my life
difficult in any way.  Call me paranoid, but I love my little
furry dearly, and regret I ever brought him to an area that has
such attitudes.

ObDisclaimer:  The opinions above are not those of DEFFBAM, any
other ferret organizations, my employer, my Internet provider,
or maybe even myself!  They could apply to my ferret, however.