From:
Laurel Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 00:09:27 -0500
Coco was the first.  And then we found Simmie, and then Jaq.  But then
tonight, we looked at each other and said, "shall we go to the pet store?
Just to look?" and they had 12 new, baby ferrets in.  But no!  The story
doesn't end there....the 12 kits are cute and all, but the one ferret that's
been there for months...at least four...she's stiill there and looking so
sad and forlorn next to the 12 babies.

So we bought her.

She was known as "Jaws" because she bites, and consequentially, no one
wanted to buy her.  Two of the really good staff have been working with her;
taking her out of her cage, handling her, letting her play around, but she's
been there over five months and no buyer.  She's drop-dead gorgeous...the
softest, most evenly light grey silver you ever saw, pretty big, and with
the sweetest face and the most serene eyes.  She's nervous as hell....I
picked her up and she clung to me like a scared kit...and shook.  She's
never had all the important ferret things....she freaked out when I offered
her ferretone...didn't like it, spilled the food and water dish, isn't
sleeping in the hammock with the other three.  Poor girl!!  She's probably
as old as Coco, and this is her first night not in a pet store.  :-(

So, we are searching for a name. So far, we're toying with Scully (always
pops up but never accepted...), Momo (Japanese for "Peach" and the character
in one of my favorite children's books, _The Umbrella_, but rhymes with
Coco), Djuna (Barnes, or just Juna, maybe), Kinsey (Mallone, of the
mysteries...) and Safron (Saffie for short? Simmie and Saffie?). We thought,
either a literature name, something implying a sad start (But not Annie,
though we toyed with Tess, but I can't name a pet Tess, they'll just come to
a bad end...), or an herbal name....but not food-herb, like Cinnamon or
Basil or Rosemary, but a medicinal herb, but my two (Ginsing and Echinacea)
were promptly rejected. :-)  I'll have to announce a name tomorrow.......

Sigh. It's truly like an awful addiction. "No, we'll just look." "Well, we
can't really afford it..." "Okay, she really needs a good home..." "Ohmigod,
I can't believe we just became a FOUR FERRET HOUSEHOLD."

Laurel....and the zoo
Coco "cool, she looks just like me but better!"
Simmie "MUST FIND RAWHIDE BONES AND HIDE THEM ALL."
Jaq "You smell just like that pet store I came from....."
and the new chick, not yet named.
And various dogs, cats, hamsters, and the horse.

 **  "You don't like those ideas?  I got others..." --Marshal McLuhan  **
Laurel Gilbert                        [log in to unmask]
American Culture Studies, BGSU, Ohio        http://www.bgsu.edu/~lgilber/