From:
Sharon Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 10:04:14 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/01 8:59:35 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
>Are you close to any local ferret shelters?  Some shelters have foster
>programs for older, un-adoptable ferrets where they pay the bills but the
>ferret goes to a permanent home.  Most of our shelters around here do that
>and it sounds like it would be just the thing for those older guys.  7 and
>8 years is old for ferrets - they are definitely in their last year or so
>of life.  Under those conditions I'm amazed they lived that long!

Tell me about it!  I don't live near any ferret shelters, the closest is
about 200 hundred miles away, which I why I do this.  I am still trying to
hammer out all the silly licenses, permits and what not so I can do this
legally, above board and all that stuff.  I don't want to be a fly by night
ferret collector.  I don't just take ferrets either, I have iguanas,
hamsters, gerbils and a few birds and cats pass through my house.  And of
course some are still here.

I do have some foster homes lined up for unadoptables or unfriendlys etc.
I'm not rich and I'm not poor.  I've talked things over with my vet and she
is very understanding.  I have taken in many ferrets and I have never done
the "pick and choose." Which means I accept all ferrets, no matter how
sick, troubled, or old.  They have a home here or some where else if that
makes them happier.  I have decided that 6 is the perfect number for me!
LOL!  We'll see how long that lasts!

UPDATE:
1. No news is good news?  Mama due any day now shows no signs of that
   being so.
2. Mean mama is still a good mama.
3. Stink.  YUP, they all still stink really badly, their poops too.
4. The 8 yr old male is so frisky!  I can hardly believe it.  He is really
   good about using his litterbox too.
5. I was hoping to take expectant mama to the vet, but I have to go sign
   legal papers tomorrow in another town, so the poor dear has to wait.
   No there is no one else to do it.
6. At 7 years of age, I was wondering if the lump(s) I felt could be
   tumors?

All in all they seem to be adapting fine.  But I don't think I'm up to
keeping them permanently and I will be looking for homes for them soon.
I have tons of offers for the babies, (go figure! LOL!) but not so many
for the adults, just wait till they see how big and lovely they are!

On the other hand the man who gave these guys to me also told me about 2
intact males he gave away at a swapmeet.  He later found out that one after
biting a child was taken to the pound.  If I'd had any idea that the poor
furry baby was still there the day he told me I would have been there in
a second to pick him up, but I thought that he was gone already, ( I mean
really!  Who could see a ferret in shelter cage and leave it there?) but
I did get to meet the man who picked him up (adoption $5, and he was proud
of that too) even though he got the ferret so cheaply (unbelievably so) he
seems to be aiming at taking incredible care of the big guy.  (ball-less
now!  LMAO) I gave him the best food, showed him the best toys, litter,
etc.  He didn't know how to cut nails or clean ears so I took a break from
work and showed him how to do these things with the aid of some ferretvite
right there on the sales floor!  To hell with my boss!  Its not as if I
NEED to work!  LMAO!  Actually I think he sorta understood he couldn't
press me on the point of a needy ferret.

Thank you to all of you who emailed me with helpful info!  And thank you
to the kindest generous woman who is sending some much needed litterpans!
Right now, with vet bills approaching and future care a definite I can't
spare any cash so the little dears are having to make do with one
litterbox, and that isn't working really well for their littertraining.
Plus it adds about an hour to my day for scrubbing it off the linoleum in
6 cages.  And can you imagine I am actually looking forward to the arrival
of three more darlings?  I think I need a shot, of something!  Preferably
hard liquour at this point!  < snicker!> Well, coffee and a chocolate bar
will have to do for this morning!

Thanks again guys!
Sincerely,
Sharon