From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:20:15 -0400
Hello, maya:

You might want to get a fine-toothed comb and brush Hooker's fur to see
if she may have fleas, or possibly a tick or chigger.  A flea is a best
bet, as the female eats a lot of blood in order to produce an egg.  That
also has the side effect of creating excess blood that makes it look like
an injury.

You should also look very closely to be sure she didn't get a tick
embedded in her neck, as well.  Have you treated your ferrets for fleas?
I'm not sure what they have available over there, but here we use
Advantage, Front Line and other such products, where you put drops on the
neck (right on the skin, not the fur) and the product works its way all
over the ferret and kills the fleas and other similar infestations.  The
products work quite well.

I'm not certain, but you may be able to order this from places on the
Internet, if they aren't available to you locally.

Typically, I don't believe two ferrets playing normally would be able to
draw blood.  This is because a ferret's skin is quite loose and one
ferret biting another will tend to bunch up the skin, rather than
puncturing it.  If Crook were biting her hard enough to cause Hooker to
bleed, then that would be a viciously hard bite, indeed and I think you
would have heard her squeal in pain.

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]