From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:41:49 -0500
I had been moping around for weeks because I couldn't attend this year's
Symposium.  My responsibilities and commitments just won't allow for such
a luxury.  So I was talking with Barb Clay this past Wednesday afternoon
and she mentioned that she was heading off to the Symposium.  Well one
moan led to another and she blurted out, "why don't you just come for
the party?"  And the next thing I knew my alter ego was buying tickets to
Atlanta online.  My hubby agreed to be a single mommy for the weekend and
off I went.

I arrived at the hotel around 7pm and surprised the heck out of several
of my friends, including Barb who didn't believe I'd do it.  And Bob C
peed in his pants!  No, he really didn't, but he could've.  hehehehe.  I
was sooooooooo wonderful to get out and leave my worries behind even if
it was only for 24 hours.  It was so worth it to see my friends (Lisa,
Kimmay, Judy, Barb, Bob, Kat, Tommy, Linda, and Julie....there are
others)!  And I got to meet many friends and acquaintances for the very
first time, including BIG who was more than happy to flaunt his naked
legs in front of anyone who would look.  That was totally cool!  I lucked
out and met Dr. Murray and Dr. Kemmerer and several other wonderful
people.  BTW, Drs. M & K are really neat people!

I really enjoyed myself.  I even got to sleep in late Sunday morning,
which is unheard of these days!  Never mind that I didn't get to bed
until 4am.  I missed meeting Marylou from Ferrets.  I'd planned an
impromptu 3 hour lunch to discuss publishing my autobiography.  Someone
said they saw her running out the door yelling something about deadlines.
hmmm.  Maybe next year!

The little zoo trip was a nice getaway - something different.  Although
I was taking notes in my head for improvements that could definitely be
made there.  LOL.  Couldn't help it!  6:30pm came all too quickly and Bob
practically had to push me out of the car at the airport.  Why doesn't 24
hours of WORK go that quickly??

I didn't really particpate in the Symposium itself, because I got there
so late.  But I mainly went to see the people and to get away.  I used
the Symposium as an excuse.  I hope I can plan it better next year and
participate.  I know how valuable the lectures are!  I want to thank
everyone who came up to me and introduced themselves.  You were all so
very nice.  I really appreciate the warmth you all showed me.  It was
exactly what I needed.

BTW, I have an extra FFD leftover which is already signed.  I had offered
to donate it for the Symposium's silent auction which was already in
progress, but I was told they had enough items already.  Soooooo, I
hauled it back to Chicago.  If there's a shelter out there that could use
it for a fundraiser, please e-mail me.  I'll review all the requests and
send it out to one of you.

Kim Schilling