From:
"Michael A. Burkhart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:53:02 -0400
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I thought I would.  It seems
that the thank you letters to Senator Dingell payed off because here's some
action going on in the senate of Michigan.  It still sounds like the law
part may be a ways off, but at least its a step in the right direction.

>[log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>Here is the latest information regarding any and all ferret legislation in
 the State of Michigan that Senator Dingell has been working on....

(LANSING)-----Democratic state Senator Christopher Dingell today introduced
> [...]

>In those states where ferret ownership was restricted, sentiment began to
>grow toward easing or eliminating ownership restrictions.  Today there are
>an estimated 10 - 12 million ferrets in the United States making them the
>third most popular companion animal in the country; and
>
>         Whereas, For ferrets, horses, and a number of other species, the
>Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has, expressed uncertainty in the past, as
>to the period between rabies infection and the animal beginning to shed the
>virus.  The CDC has recommended in all cases of bites that an individualized
>inquiry be made.  For ferrets, this seems to always result in an order to
>kill the ferret.  For unexplained reasons, horses are not so treated; and
>
>         Whereas, In February 1990, the first rabies vaccine was approved by
>the U.S. Department of Agriculture for use on ferrets.  Rone Merieux, the
>IMRAB-3, was shown to be at least 94.4% effective in preventing rabies in
>ferrets for up to one year following vaccination.  This was verified through
>testing 90 ferrets, 3 times the number of animals required by the USDA.  The
>vaccine has a proven effectiveness greater than 86.7%, the number required
>for dogs; and
>
>         Whereas, 3 distinct studies have been done by U.  Forster at the
>Paul Erilich Institute in Germany; J.  Blancou, M.  Aubert, and M.  Artois
>the French National Institute for the Study of Rabies; and J.F.  Bell of the
>United States.  All these studies show a mean-time from onset of the
>symptoms, until death of 4.2 days, with a maximum of 7 days.  These studies
>on three different rabies strains show that the ferret does not typically
>shed the virus; and
>
>         Whereas, The cities of Saint Paul and St. Lewis Park, Minnesota
>require only that the ferret be examined by a veterinarian familiar with
>small animals.  If the ferret is found to be healthy, vaccinated or
>unvaccinated, it is released back to its owner.  A conservative approach to
>establishing a quarantine would be to consider *death* as an easily
>recognized symptom of rabies, and to establish the quarantine period at 7
>days.  This is the maximum time, from the initial onset of symptoms
>
>         Whereas, In light of these recent studies on shedding periods in
>ferrets and past studies regarding this issue, the Massachusetts Department
>of Public Health has changed their kill and test policy and created a 10
>day quarantine period for ferrets recommended for most domestic ferret
>circumstances; and
>
>         Whereas, The quarantine period is not meant to prove that the
>animal does not have the rabies virus; just that it was not capable of
>passing on the disease at the time of the bite.  An animal cannot pass on
>the virus until the virus is secreted by the salivary glands during the
>final stages of the disease; now, therefore, be it
>
>         Resolved by the Senate, That the Michigan Departments of
Agriculture and Community Health enlighten their views on ferret quarantine
policies or the lack thereof, to make recommendations similar to those of
the State of Massachusetts and to treat ferrets and their many owners with
fairness and sympathy.  The departments are also requested to realize the
ferret*s place next to the canine and feline friends in our Michigan
families; and be it further

Mike
web:  http://www.cybrzn.com/~mburkhar