Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 01:36:22 -0500
I am a very curious person, so I tend to verufy and re-verify
information I hear about ferrets. I knew nothing about ferrets when I
bought my first one (for my niece) so many years ago. At the local pet
store, I saw cute fuzzy baby ferrets asleep in a pile. I thought it odd
that the salesman said to make sure it didn't get out of the box when I
got it in the car.... I only ever saw them sleeping or rolling around
in the pet store display. Imagine my first war dance event! Shock --
horror!! Was this ferret sick? Mentally ill? LOL

All this was before personal computers in the home.....no YouTube....
nothing. What "saved" me (and probably that first ferret) was Modern
Ferret magazine. I learned what "normal" ferret behavior to expect. I
learned what to look for in an ill ferret. I discovered the benefits of
hammies and ferret foods. I STILL own several Modern Ferret magazines
Personally, I'd like to see a book or magazine or resource list be
given to everyone who buys a ferret. Or better yet -- require an
informational class/video/test before allowing a purchase. And I think
they ought to always sell ferrets in pairs.

Actually, I know a lot of my ideas seem restrictive or prejudical - but
I just want to protect ferrets.

I can't be too harsh with newbies - I did no research before getting
my first furbaby. I wouldn't buy a pet (or car or oven or....) without
researching it now. And so I try not to make a newbie feel stupid
when I talk to them. I want them to seek more answers, to listen, to
understand.