From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 08:42:09 EST
        To Jim and Nibbles, on ferret travel out of state.  I'm not
sure if any state would extradide(sp) a ferret.  It would be a large
finacial burdon, but why take the chance.  I have one ferret Sebastian
that likes to lick you several times and then kind of chews on you.
It's not a real bite but if your startled and pull away you can get
a small scratch in your skin.  I never let people hold him just pet
his backside.  I would be more concerned of people in your own state
than those of others.  Just use your head and you'll never(hopefully)
have a problem.

        Some one asked,

        Declawing is inhumane in my book for ferrets.  You have to take
the hole tip of the toe/finger off at the first knuckle.  I've seen
several that were declawed, but I'm sure they were in alot of pain for
a long time till the wounds healed.  See the FAQ I think this is in
there.

        Kari of my X-state MASS.  Great Speach.  When are you running
for office? :)  You got my vote.

        To the new owners of a ten week old kit.  Question was when
do they slow down so you can hold them for more than 3 secounds?
Ferrets aren't like cats or dogs.  Some like to be held but that's
a small % from what I've seen.  They will slow down abit you may get
to 30 secounds to a minute by 1 or closer to 2 years old.  What I
do if I want to pet my guys wich they also love is to do it while they
are still asleep or just waking up.  Pet them between the shoulders and
litely around the ears on top of the nose and head.  I can sometimes
get finger cramps before they take off, other times just a minute or
two.  It's funny they always want to be close but never realy held.

        Can some one send me or post the address of the Wasgington MD
health department again.  I would like to send them a letter with
some rabies info and bite stats.  I'm sure they've seen it all already
but maybe if they see it enough the ink may stain their minds.  I'm
going to enclose a letter and a picture of my guys as well.

        Brad