From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:00:23 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Avner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New ferret questions.
>Yesterday I got my new ferret (my first).

Yes vaccinate for distemper.

Typically neutering +/- descenting occurs around 6 months of age but a lot
of people do it younger.  Descenting may no be necessary since neutering
dramatically reduces the smell alone.

>From:    Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Question & how do you sneak into CA?
>I have a couple of questions about the early vaccinations for kits.  I read
>in the FAQ that Kits should get 3 shots 4 weeks apart OR 4 shots 3 weeks
>apart for distemper. ... Is the strength of the vaccinations ...

The vaccine strength and dosing is the same.  The varible is one we cannot
control, the ferret s response to the vaccine.  Ferrets have a declining
amount of maternal antibodies from birth to about 16 weeks of age (every
ferret is different) that protect the baby from distemper (if the mother was
current on her vaccination).  At some point those antibodies are no longer
at a high enough level to protect the baby ferret so they need vaccinations.
The maternal antibodies also interfere with the vaccine response along with
the baby s own immune system may be too immature to respond.  In the end,
Distemper vaccinations at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age are recommended.  High
risk households can easily go down to a two or three week interval to close
the vulnerability window .  The more frequent vaccination schedule costs
more and you always run the risk of a vaccine reaction.

>From:    Bido <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: medical question
>Kelsey, a 4yr.  sprite is showing signs of adrenal problems.

Hair loss can occur anywhere in hyper adrenal disease but the tail/rump area
is most common.  Poor diet can lead to problems with fur also.  You need a
meat based (a meat source must be the first listed protein in the ingredient
section) kitten chow.

>From:    Elizabeth Plummer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: attn DVMs - would like a second opinion
>My eldest fuzzy, K'Ehleyr (5 and 1/2 yrs.), has been diagnosed with
>lymphoma.  With the help of liquid Pred. ...

Prednisone improves the attitude and shrinking the size of the affected
lymph nodes, BUT it does not change the course or prognosis of the disease.
If you want to try for remission or a cure, you need to do chemotherapy.
The results are quite mixed and it does not work in some ferrets.  Most
chemotherapy protocols are mixed protocols and include more than one drug.

>From:    Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Too many tail questions

Could be just blackheads.  Try the benzoyl peroxide gel called oxydex from
your vet s.

>From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vet tieke question
>tieke, just turned six yesterday, is still having a lot of problems.  The

Pawing at mouth and nausea makes me think gastric ulcers.  Consider
treatment for that (hate to add more medications(: ).

>From:    Mary Nelson Steeves <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal Surgery Gone Wrong Due to Clotting Disorder?
>Hello fellow FMLers!  I need some input on a very abnormal health problem.
>Anything you can share with me will be greatly appreciated.

I have not encountered bleeding disorders in ferrets.  Dr. Karen Rosenthal
briefly discusses blood transfusions in some of her reports, but no details.
Were all the other lab values from Tennessee normal?

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.

[Moderator's note: Dr. Rosenthal was once treating a ferret of mine and the
subject of a transfusion came up.  We spoke about it a bit and she commented
how incredibly well they see to take it - some ferrets having had several
transfusions with hardly any ill effects.   BIG]