From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:54:21 -0500
Obviously, you misread my post.  That's OK.  That is what happens.  I was
not scoffing, but giving you some things to think about.  You sated that
you will be unofficial.  What happens when or if you get shut down for
being illegal?  Where would the ferrets go?  How will you get support for
your shelter?  You won't be able to advertise as a shelter and if you are
illegal, well, what happens when you get turned in?  Honestly, it doesn't
matter if you are 501c3, what matters that you are legal!  It is the
illegal, unofficial shelters, though their intentions are usually good,
that hurt the legal shelters in the long run.  People lose respect for
the shelters and start assuming all shelters are illegal and bad.

If you want to help other ferrets, find out the legal issues involved in
your town, county, and state.  I am required to have rabies vaccination
in my town, but not in my county or state.  I have to have a pet store
license to keep and sell exotics.  I cannot keep an animal not on my
permit.  A person in NJ cannot sell/adopt out animals more than once a
year, less than 6, without this license.

If you are not legal, you are opening up yourself to law suits and
problems in the future.  Do your research, figure out what you can
legally do, and follow through with the law.  If not, you add to the
problems all small shelters are facing.

You never said where you want to have your shelter.  There may indeed be
a shelter in that area.  In the areas you listed, I know of several
shelters.

Gail
Have a ferret?  Want one?
Need and iguana or other herp?
Needhelp placing one of the above?
www.scalesandtails.org
"I need a map of your head \ Translated into English \ So I can learn to
not make you frown..."--Incubus