From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 07:45:41 -0700
Hi All:

Over the years different parts of the US have been affected by the
increased unavailability of Prednisolone. It has finally caught up
to our vet office here in NYS. Prednisolne tablets will no longer
be manufactured - no reason has been given to the vet office or the
pharmacies who dispense them.

It was my good fortune over a year ago to receive the suggestion of
working with a compounding lab in Youngtown, Arizona (thank you Jeff!)
as a place to get less expensive Diazoxide for my insulinomic kids.
Their prices are unbelievably reasonable compared to the jump to $92.00
(not including S & H) from a closer lab in Connecticut.

Last month, I requested a refill of the 5 mg tabs of Prenisolone for
my Belle. When I got home and checked my meds, I relaized I had Pred
tabs not Prednisolone tabs. I called the vet office to be informed
they could not longer get Prednisolone in tab form.

Off to my address book I went to call my favorite pharmacist at Pet
Health Pharmacy to inquire as to the situation and see if there was
a way to help me out. Sure enough. Pet Health Pharmacy receives
prednisolone in powder form and could make it up to the strength I was
getting through the 5 mg tabs. The more I bought the less it would be.
I have three ferrets needing it so I requested Doc call in a script for
me and ask for 30 mls to give it a try -flavor: tutti frutti of course!
Oh my gosh, I wish I had known about this before. It has made life so
much easier where medicating is concerned as I have always given Pred
in soup. Now I can syringe it in, give a stir and watch Belle, Jillie
Feet and Scooter slurp it down! No waiting for it to dissolve.

I know folks in Pa. have had a terrible time getting the tab forms of
Prenisolone and switched to Pediapred. Even those prices have started
to soar. It was ridiculous when I looked into it for my kids over a
year ago - although my local Walmart pharmacist was very helpful and
even interested in learning about ferrets!

The info for this compounding lab is as follows:
Pet Health Pharmacy
http://www.pethealthpharmacy.com/ Youngtown, Az.
toll free number: 1-800-742-0516
Hours: M-F 8 am- 6pm
Sat. 9 am - 12 noon

Simple ask to speak to a pharmacist if you have questions. After
talking to them, I called my vet office with the strength and quantity
I wanted and asked if they would approve it and call it in for me as I
wanted to stay with Prednisolone for the benefit it has fir ferrets,
vs. Prednisone. Fortunately I have a terrific vet and staff who help
me keep prices low due to my high number of ferrets.

Good luck!

Cathy Ryan

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3