From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:25:15 -0400
I spoke to Sophie at the animal shelter and told her about how Phoenix was
released to a shelter after a 10-day quarantine for severely biting an
infant in Cleveland.  I also faxed her some articles about the incident.

She said that after the 10-day guarantine, it was up to the owner to decide
what to do.  She claimed she would give the owner all the options: they can
keep the ferret, release it to animal control where it would be immediately
euthanized, or release it to the Ferret Aid Society.  However, Sophie did
say the second option would be the one she would choose, and that animal
control would NOT release the ferret to FAS.  I urged her to present the
last option as the best, but she said she would present them without bias.
Given her own feelings, I don't know how unbiased she will be.

She did say they have been getting lots of calls from the media and others,
and is concerned about how this has grown to such a big issue.  I hope this
pressure will convince her killing the ferret will just be bad publicity
for them.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin, OH

Support the Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter by visiting