From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 12:16:55 -0700
Kelleen:

    I use a 22 or 23 gauge needle.  It's not the size of the needle, but
the expertise of the person giving the shot that makes it hurt or not hurt.

    I'm not sure that you want to be doing this yourself.  If your ferret
has a reaction, how would you treat it?  Would you be able to get to the
vet's in time?  Do you have the proper medications on hand if on e of your
pets has a severe reaction and stops breathing?

    I'm afraid I'm no fan of lay people giving their own shots.  Talk with
your vet - perhaps if you purchase the vaccines (use Fervac-D from United
Vaccines), then he may give you a break on vaccinating them for you.

Best regards,

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR