From:
Cynthia Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 07:22:21 EST
I've yet to find a vet with a great deal of ferret experience ...so I always
try to turn to the FLM for a second opinion.  My vet is very nice, very kind
to animals, very willing to learn, always looking things up to double check,
but not highly experienced with ferrets.

During our most recent visit to the Vet (Epstein had caught my cold/flu) -
it was suggested that Epstein take monthly heartworm medication.  Epstein
will be 2 in July - he's a neutered male - the only nonhuman in our
household - is primarily an indoor fert ...but does go camping in the
Berkshires .... fountain swimming in Harvard Square .... and for long walks
around the Boston area.

The vet gave us monthly heartworm meds for cats under 5 lbs.  (Epstein
weighs about 2 lbs.... a medium Marshall's T-shirt just fits him.) (I have
the brand name and exact dosage at home.) These are the kind that look like
dog treats.  The vet wants Epstein to take 1 per month - year round.

I haven't given Epstein the hearworm meds yet .... I want to learn more
first.  I haven't found any info in the FAQ's at Ferret Central about
heartworm ... and this is leading me to believe that it may not be a problem
in Ferrets.  We live in Massachusetts .... not a mosiquito plagued state ...
but we do get some .... and we encounter plenty when we go camping.

The vet did not do a test for heartworm ... and my experience with dogs is
that they are always tested prior to going on meds.

Anyone have any experience/opinions/advise on ferrets and heartworm
preventive medication????

Thanks

Cynthia Donovan  ([log in to unmask]) and Epstein