From:
shirley miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:02:45 -0500
I have only been getting the FML about a week but would like to make some
suggestions about subjects I have seen here and alt.pets.ferrets.

HAMMOCKS- I make my own from cheap remnants from the fabric shop or some
even out of old sweatshirts.  They are just simple squares of fabric sewn
together.I sew an elastic tab at each corner and attach with hooks from the
craft store.  $2 to $3 each to make comparred to $14 to $20 in pet stores.

LITTERBOXES- I get tall dishpans at Walmart or the dollar store.  I had
about 10 to start because my little one didn't know which corner was her
favorite.  After she picked out her 5 favorite corners, I cut the end out of
5 pans, turned them upside down on the other 5 and put 2 screws on each side
and now I have covered litterboxes.

I couldn't keep my baby out from under the recliner so I bought carpet tack
strips at the carpet store , cut them the length to fit under the recliner
and glued them to cardboard and placed them under the recliner.  It was no
longer a fun place to play or hide.

FOOD DISHES- She always scraped everything out.  I got pint freezer
container and made 2 holes near the top and fastened it to the cage with
loose leaf rings from the office store.  It was deep enough she couldn't
drag the food out very well and also couldn't move it around.  I also put
one under the water bottle to catch drips.

She wouldn't come when I called her so I got a loud bell and rang it before
every treat.  Now when she hears the bell she comes running from where ever
she is hiding !!!  One time she got outside and I went out ringing the bell
and she was soon dancing around my feet.  Scared me a lot more than her.
CAGE- I finally went out and got her the big 4ft.cage with shelves and
ladders.  I made one full and one half shelf of plywood and it gives her a
lot more playing room when she is confined at night.  I also have 2 pieces
of carpet cut to fit each shelf so I can take one out and wash itand let it
dry.  She will not go in the cage if it doesn't have carpet in it.  (very
spoiled!)

I also have a piece of carpet under and in front of litterboxes to catch the
dragging brown spots.

I also make their collars out of elastic with bells and rings from the craft
store and glue the elastic together with jewel glue.  It helps to be able to
hear them coming.

I also had to go out and adopt her a buddy because she was lonesome..  I got
Jez about a year ago and could not find any books or info until I got on the
internet last month.  aaaI tried the library (small town) pet store and vet
who also knows very little about them.I printed up about 100 pages for a
start last week and told him I would bring them in for their shots after he
had time to read it all.

Now I have JEZEBEL and TRISTAN.
If anyone wants further instructions on any of this stuff, feel free to
e-mail me.
Shirley(the human)
Jezebel(the witch)
Tristan(the conquerer)