Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 05:56:12 EST
>If anyone could be so kind as to send pictures of ferrets being killed
>at Agricultural Stations in California...

I don't know where this information comes from. It makes me crazy. I
have been the Southern California Coordinator for the Agricultural
Station rescue program for 10+ years. My co coordinator Gary P. handles
the Northern California stations. NEVER in my years doing it have I
heard of a ferret being killed. For the most part the people working at
the stations don't like the law anymore than we do. Time and time again
I have seen them stretch the rules for ferrets. On the other hand I
have heard and seen the Ag station employees be treated badly for
doing their jobs.

When a ferret is confiscated. Gary or I am called. We in turn call a
volunteer who goes to pick the ferret up and take it out of state. The
rules are, we 48 hours to pick the ferret up. I have known the stations
to hold a ferret for a week because the owner promises to come back and
pick the ferret up on their way back out of the state. Only to have
the owner not show up. I can give you tons of stories like this. The
stations have called me to pick up, gerbils, monk parrots, raccoons,
hedgehogs, and on and on. They don't have to do any of this. But they
do. By law these animals could be euthanized. They are not!

Gary and I have some of the best volunteers in this program. They spend
their time and money, (some drive long distances) to pick these animals
up. Then they find homes for them. I am eternally grateful to them for
all that they do. If anyone living close to the California border is
interested in being a volunteer, please contact me, We can always use
help.

Thanks,
Robin Jones