From:
Sylvia Baggett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 17:49:00 EDT
Greetings -- We've already sent a note privately to [log in to unmask], but
thought that this might be of more general interest to the FML.

We just read about Bear's condition on the FML, and thought we would
tell you about our Spazz's case.  Your mileage may vary, of course,
since surgery results depend on so many (often uncontrollable) factors,
but this is another case example.

Spazz is one of our first ferrets who we adopted from a nearby shelter more
than three years ago.  At that time, he was quite active & playful -- he
clearly had earned the name his previous owners gave him.  At any rate,
Spazz will be 7 years old in October and had adrenal surgery just this past
August 3.  He had 1.5 adrenal glands and 10 pancreatic tumors removed in a
single surgery.  He has recovered quite well in the intervening month and a
half, and is a happy, active ferret these days.  He has actually gained a
little weight over his pre-surgery levels, and he now regularly initiates
play scuffles with our other two, much younger, carpet sharks -- something
he was doing less & less of during this past year.

Due to Spazz's age, we were reluctant to put him through surgery, so we
had him tested for adrenal problems by the Univ.  of Tenn.  facility, and
the results were, of course, ambiguous; his glucose levels at the time
were fine.  Based on the adrenal test results and his other symptoms (very
minor hair loss, some thinning of the skin, and his low activity level),
we played the wait-and-see game for a few months.  However, he did not
improve after some attempts to treat other possible causes of the hair
loss, and we decided to have the surgery done before his condition
deteriorated further.  We contacted Dr. Weiss (of FML fame), who agreed
that an adrenal tumor was likely and that surgery was best.  Dr. Weiss
also ran some blood tests (primarily for glucose and liver function) and
found that Spazz' glucose level was now low enough to suspect insulinoma;
surgery was definitely indicated at this point, even though the adrenal
symptoms were still very mild.  During surgery, Dr. Weiss was extremely
surprised to find both adrenals involved and quite large!  The reason we
mention this is that you may be better off making a judgement based on the
visible symptoms (which you can best see, since you see Bear all the time)
rather than the blood test, which may not tell you much.  Note, we're not
veterinarians, but are simply relating what happened in our situation.

By the way, we heartily recommend Dr. Weiss in Potomac Maryland, if he's
within travel-distance for you.  For us, he's more than an hour drive away
in non-rush hour time, but it was well worth it: he was just wonderful with
our little guy.  And he's great with worried parents, too!  We had so many
questions before & after the surgery, all of which he thoroughly discussed
with us, plus he phoned regularly to checkup on Spazz's recovery, gave us
his home phone number for emergencies, and consulted before & after with
Spazz's regular vet.

Anyway, whatever decision you make, we're sure it will be made with love
and with Bear's best interest in mind.  Good luck, Bear, we'll be thinking
about you.

Wayne and Sylvia Baggett
Cloudy -- alpha ferret "where'd that squeaky toy go?"
Rocky  -- food ferret "what'cha eating, can I have some too?"
Spazz  -- is Spazz "yyyyooooowww, I feel *good*, dadadum dadadudum"