From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:37:52 -0400
Yes, Anne, I have heard of terrible infections secondary to earmites,
even of one who had a secondary fungal infection eat through the auditory
bulla (the boney bubble that contains the ear structures) and into the
brain itself with the ferret then becoming violent and soon dying.

There likely is no way around cleaning that little one's ears because
something like Tresaderm (unless your vet feels it is counterindicated)
will be needed to be used but that needs the ear as clean as possible
before it is put in to work.  Meanwhile, though you need to reduce the
contribution of the earmites by treating all with one of the meds that
can help control those.

I suggest reading up in the assorted archives, esp.  from vet posts.
There is at least one I recall from the FML Archives but for some reason
can't find today; I know I am blocking on some word combo.  You may have
better luck.  I did find these for you, though:

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG7639

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG7615

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG2670
>If it is just a yeast infection without any bacteria then using a
>different ear medication may be safer.  Conofite or other miconazole
>drops can be used.  Also Lotrimin or other clotrimazole drops can be
>used.  Tresaderm or the new Baytril drops can also be used for mild
>yeast infection.  The other big thing is to clean the wax out of the
>ears daily.  Yeast need the wax to survive.  Yes you can use Otomax,
>but as Dr Williams pointed out the antibiotic in it (gentocin) as some
>risk to it.

and more...
Oh, found some good ones:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9901&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R12148