From:
Kristen Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:43:25 -0500
Hello, all!

Just a few comments:

1. I am in NO way meaning to flame Kathy for her comments regarding what
she witnessed at the AFA show.  I've never met Kathy, I've never been to a
ferret show, but I do have enough common sense to realize that everyone has
differing opinions on what constitutes abuse and how to handle the
situation.  If the behavior described is what occurred, (and I'm not saying
Kathy lied or stretched the truth) then she handled this very well by doing
her best to notify officials and let the general ferret community (that's
us, FMLers) know, without pointing fingers or laying blame.  I would agree
that pulling whiskers and smacking a ferret would be wrong - even I know
that treating a "vicious" or biting animal in an aggressive or violent
manner, no matter what kind of animal, usually begets further violent
behavior.

2.  I was happy to see the AFA president post a response.  It is her right.
I agreed with her thought that if an abuse were to occur, the proper
response would be to talk to the breeder and then to a show official.  I am
a little disturbed that is had such a nasty tone (I certainly didn't accuse
her of anything, I just read the FML for advice and tips!), but I can
understand some level of hostility because she probably felt personally
attacked.  (I would too, if I volunteered all of my free time to an
organization and heard it smeared on the FML.) Once again, using my common
sense, I realize that her response might also be colored with her own
personal feelings and friendships, so I take her answer with a grain of
salt as well.  (But I do appreciate a response and another take on the
situation.)

Which leads me to:

3. The idea of bringing in cameras and recording equipment to a ferret show
is a little extreme, dontcha think?  I mean, for the most part, it seems
that what I've heard about ferret shows is that they are pretty well run,
considerate of health issues, and generally a good time with great ferret
people to meet and greet!  It isn't some sort of back alley animal
smuggling ring, for goodness sake.  I think that continuing to voice formal
concerns regarding animal treatment, to both the accused and the
organization, is the best course of action.  Wouldn't you think that in
a crowded room like this, if a true abuse situation was occurring, more
people would react?  From the reactions on the FML, I would think so.

Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.  I meant no disrespect!

Kristen