From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:32:57 -0700
either.  I run a very busy shelter in Colorado and see so far this year,
over 2000 ferrets for one reason or another.  I am big on distemper shots
and require them of every ferret that goes into Ferretland or any ferret
brought through the front door of the shelter.  We do not stress Rabies
vaccine here in Colorado as a ferret needs to be bitten by a rabid animal
to catch rabies and there has only been one documented case of Rabies in
a domesticated ferret in the history of the state and that was in 1976
according to the state vet.

I am told by my vets that I do not need a license to give distemper
vaccine, but I do need to be a vet to administer Rabies vaccine.  I am
capable of doing so, but if your ferret bites someone and I gave it the
Rabies shot, your ferret may very well be subjected to death and lab
testing.  I do not give the Rabies vaccine so the ferret is protected from
stupid humans.  In the event I ever do have a serious reaction to the
Fervac-D vaccine, I have Dexamethasone, Epinepherine, I.V. Ringers(yes,
I am capable of putting an I.V. in a ferret), etc., and the pager numberrs
of any of the vets I use so that if the need arises, I can get them out of
bed in any emergency and have them talk me into stabilizing a ferret until
I can get it to them in the a.m..

When I have to save a ferrets life, I do whatever it takes and with
whatever means are at my disposal, and worry about the consequences of my
actions later.  Many of my clients come to me in the middle of the night or
on weekends when their normal vet isn't open.  I have a mortality rate of
less than 1% for the total amopunt of ferrets that I have administered to
for any thing relating to medical procedure.

Lastly, if I drove fours hours to save your ferret in the middle of the
night,( yes I have done that) There would be no charge for my services.
You see, there is a difference between practicing veterinary medicine and
being a good samaritan... I do this for the fuzzies and not for me.  You
can send a donation later, but I never take money for services rendered,
not even gas money!  I have never been confronted by any vet, association,
or government agency regarding the care I give to the ferrets and probably
won't unless you want to file a complaint against me with the state vet,
( in Colorado) of which he would have to investigate and reply to you with
a response.  ( he actually was here 1 1/2 months ago to see if all the
wonderful things that he heard about us are true.  His reaction was WOW!)

By the way, you seem to know a lot about ferrets too!  Are you a vet?

Keep up the good work.
Ferretguy