Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 19:03:46 -0500
Rick,
You're probably going to get a dozen replies, but since I've been lurking for
so long, I feel I need to get my $0.02 worth in sometime or I'll explode.

We've had considerable success with lead training ours just by deciding that
where we really want to go is where the ferret is going <G>.  Actually it
sounds like you've made more progress than we ever have.  We have found that
they will respond to verbal praise just like a dog if at first you let them
know association through that the tone of voice that you are using is one of
approval.  In other words give them the verbal praise while you are giving
them a more substantial treat - diluted ferretone, raisin, etc.  As you
noticed, they are very intelligent and will quickly make the association.

The shivering that you noticed is normal.  I understand that their body
temperature goes down significantly while they are sleeping and the shivering
is their way of getting it back up to normal.  It is very common in kits.  We
have some 6 year olds that still do it.

Dick B.