From:
Cheri Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:04:35 CDT
I have learned over time to skip over Ed's posts - no idea why I read
this one.  The responses thus far have pretty much covered the major points
of contention there, but I have one thing to add, just my own little
experience.

While I've never had the opportunity to volunteer at a ferret shelter,
since there are none in my area, I do have some experience volunteering at
a small cat/dog shelter.  Myself and one other woman came in to clean, feed
and water.  The actual work required should have taken about 3-4 hours, but
we invariably stayed all day, playing with and cuddling the animals after
the "real" work was done, which we both felt was our most important
contribution to them, even above feeding and watering.  Some of these
animals were clearly victims of abuse, and would do nothing but cower,
trembling in the back of their cages or kennels.  I sincerely believe that
some of these were able to be adopted out ONLY because we spent as much
time with them as we did.  Ed, did you know that human infants require love
and handling in order to flourish - even to survive?  Why should other
animals be so different?

And Ed, given your attitude toward people in general, and women in
particular, I don't wonder that you have trouble getting decent volunteers.

Cheri Johnson