From:
Lisa Munger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:21:54 -0700
Buffy (soft ferret): Many ferrets are as soft as you describe for a few
weeks.  After a couple months of age, this unusual softness often departs.
Not that they get coarse, they just get a more mature coat of hair.
Linatone will soften the hair a bit, but it's only really natural when
they're babies.  (all you people with soft ferrets, don't get me wrong.  I
talking about the SUPER silk milk soft ferret coat that this owner was
describing)

Jim (bitterapple):  Someone recommended bitterapple to you.  It works only
with some ferrets.  Others say, "so what if it tastes bad?"

Cynthia (litterbox):  Many ferret websites have detailed information about
this.  A couple quick hints: use more that one litterbox.  Find the places
your ferret likes to go the most and put a litterbox there.  Also, start in
a small area (like one room), and then give them more access to the house
after they've gotten the litter box in mind.  And if you can't get it to
work, give the ferret up for adoption before making him/her a "cage ferret".
Also, patience.  It can take well over 2 months to make good progress.

Lorraine (dominance):  That scruff of the neck dominance hold you describe
is useful, but it's important to remember not to do it for too long.  I've
had more than one vet tell me it can cause nerve damage if they're held
like that for too long.

Kathy (mirrors): Neither of our ferrets react to a mirror.  Yes, their
eyesight is bad, but they can see themselves.  It's just they're reflection
has no smell or sound, and therefore, it's not all that fascinating.  It
also does whatever they do, which is a bit too predictable and dull for a
ferret.

William (food):  Totally Ferret should do just fine.  One of the reasons
your ferret's feces might have stunk so much is that many cat/ferret foods
have a fish product base.  Those that do, cause smelly turds.

Sheila (romans):  Bah, romans and ferrets 2000 years ago. :) The egyptians
did it 5000 years ago.  They domesticated the ferret before the cat.
hurrah.

Mandy (names): Good ferret names are often names that aren't established
people names.  Of course there's no rules.  But an example of what I mean
would be "blizzard" or "sneeze" or "yogurt".  But I don't think anyone can
recommend a ferret name to you.  We'd have to see your ferret.  :)

Picki Loki (treat): In very small doses, almost all ferrets seem to be
addicted to Linatone.  It's made for dog and cats, but in small doses (no
more than 2-3 drops a day), it can be a VERY effective treat.  It makes
their coat soft too.

David (bathing):  We bathe our ferrets about every 2 or 3 weeks just cause
they love it.  Their coats continue to be very soft.  So your dry coats may
not have been from frequent bathing, but from bad shampoo or soap.

Judy (sneezy): Oh foo on your ferret's name.  And we thought we were so
original on naming our ferret Sneeze.  Oh well, I guess it is a rather
obvious name, isn't it?

MY question: I have a friend who on special occasions gives his ferret stoat
beer.  I know this can't be healthy for the ferret, but is it specifically
hazardous to ferrets?  If so, I'd like to warn him against it.

Sorry about the bandwidth.  Thanks all.

-Lisa, Chinook and Sneeze.